Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to unlock 4GEE Wifi Mini

andyvee
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Trying to unlock 4GEE Wifi Mini that was supplied as part of my BB contract to use a Three SIM with it.

Called EE today and got a 10 digit unlock code.

Did all firmware updates on device and factory reset.

Insert 3 SIM (which works fine in my phone) and it is asking for the SIM PIN - I enter the SIM PIN  (3 default of 0000) and it tells me it is wrong. Which it isn't.

Put the SIM back in my phone and turned on SIM PIN and changed the PIN to 1111 to be the same as the default EE PIN.

Put the SIM back in the 4GEE, it now prompts me for the PIN which it accepts as 1111 but then tells me my SIM is locked (which it isn't). At this point I try the 10 digit unlock code, doesn't work.

Put the 3 SIM back in my phone, accepts the PIN, works fine, it is not locked.

Anyone any ideas?

21 REPLIES 21

This is going round in circles.

I've received an email now with the same unlock code. And when I respond to say it doesn't work, I get asked what happens and what is the error message. I've already been through all of this on the phone with someone - do notes not get made on your account?

How do I escalate this @Leanne_T ?

So now the unlocking team have decided they can help me no further and referred me to the manufacturer. Without providing any details of who the manufacturer is and how I contact them.

This is an EE branded device, supplied by EE, as part of a an ongoing EE contract. As far as I am concerned all responsibility is with EE.

@Leanne_T how do I make this a formal complaint please seeing as nobody seems willing to resolve?

The devices are manufactured by Alcatel, Alcatel supply all their devices unlocked to the Networks, it's the networks who lock these devices, if you do manage to speak to Alcatel they will just refer you back to EE as its an EE branded device.

And even better than that, according to the packaging, it is manufactured by EE Ltd., Hatfield, AL10 98W.

EE don't manufacture them, as said they are made by Alcatel, you can buy them direct from China (EE or BT badged) they all come Unlocked, it's EE who lock them.

As I said in an earlier Post, I believe your issue is a 10 vs 16 Digit lock code which is Firmware Release related, I used to play around with these years ago, probably still got some kicking around somewhere. 

I know that and you know that, but EE have referred me to the manufacturer, and according to the label on the box with the IMEI number on it etc, the manufacturer is EE.

Farcical.

Might all be a little academic anyway as I have a sneaky suspicion the device is now bricked through entering the incorrect code too many times. It shows as connected to EE OK when the EE SIM is inserted, but no internet access and the device itself can't check for firmware updates. SIM has plenty of data allowance left and works in my phone OK .... Factory reset and still the same, but there is no indication on the device status page that anything is wrong ....

So unlocking it might now be academic - looks like a call to the BB team as it is supplied as part of my broadband contract.

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

You can make a formal complaint to EE & if you don't get satisfaction after 8 weeks you can take it to EE's ADR provider. See Complaints code of practice and here is the Complaints Form at the foot of the page.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
andyvee
Contributor
Contributor

So, as expected under case reference TCL-3055140 CRM:0145000018749 Alcatel have referred me back to EE ....

Thank you very much for contacting Alcatel Mobile Care and for your interest in our devices!
My name is Ana and I will be attending to the case you have opened with us; reference number is in the title.

I am very sorry to hear that you have encountered this issue!

Please note that, we sell our devices unlocked, and the Network Operators lock the devices in a specific Network for customer retention.

This is an action only the seller is able to perform and we advise to request assistance to EE again, and if necessary forward our official answer to them.

I am truly sorry for any discomfort you are going through!

Also, while the device was manufactured by us, it's Interface and software is developed by EE, so we doubt that this action is possible.

Thank you very much for understanding! Please note that this ticket will now be closed.

Kind regards,
Ana.

Alcatel Mobile Care Team.

Which confirms what I said about them being Unlocked prior to EE Locking them and is exactly what I said would happen if you were to contact Alcatel directly with your issue.

andyvee
Contributor
Contributor

And I have had a completely different unlock code emailed to me by EE out of the blue that also doesn't work ...