cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strict Nat type

Darcy8524
Visitor

Why do EE not let potential customers no that 5 g home routers are not suitable for using gaming ,as most families have children and most play on Xbox’s etc very .it must effect sales 😊very disappointed after being a customer in some shape or form for 20 years or more .

27 REPLIES 27
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Darcy8524 : Quite right! EE mobile routers are not suitable for gaming.

You are finding yourself up against a limitation of EE's mobile network. The EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT) resulting in a double NAT, which games consoles often object to, which means you don't get your own public IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net & therefore your LAN cannot be addressed from outside for unsolicited accesses. This is unlike fixed BB. 

If this occurs there is nowt you can do to avoid it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
DeanG3107
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Just use a vpn and it works fine NAT type 2 

DeanG3107
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

But you can run your PlayStation /Xbox at Nat type 2 through a vpn either on your router or if you can’t use your router you can run an Ethernet cable from a pc/ laptop with the vpn running and it works I can post the way to do it if any one needs to know 

Hi dean, 

I have set up a VPN using Surfshark through L2TP on my router, however my NAT type is still strict. Don’t suppose you can help at all can you? 

DeanG3107
Established Contributor
Established Contributor
  1. Download and install the VPN software on your Windows PC.

2. Connect your PS4 to your PC with the ethernet cable.

3. Open the Control Panel in Windows and navigate to the Network and Sharing Center.

4. Click on Change Adaptor Settings in the left sidebar.

5. Right-click on your VPN connection (the one installed on your PC), click Properties > Sharing.

6. Tick the box that says: Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection.

7. Locate the Home networking connection drop-down menu and select your ethernet connection.

8. Connect to the VPN server you require by using the VPN client on your PC.

9. Boot up your PS4.

On the main menu screen click on Settings > Network Settings.

10. Under Network Settings select Set up Internet Connection.

Select Use a LAN Cable when you are prompted.

11. Select Easy for the connection method and confirm Do Not Use a Proxy Server when asked.

12. Accept these settings and click Test Connection to ensure it works correctly.

What VPN ... can you explain how to do it please .. I'm stuck and I can't figure out how to change NAT type ( from NAT 3 to NAT 2 ) to connect my PlayStation Portal to PS5.

DeanG3107
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

You need to have a vpn client in other words look for a free one or purchase one for like 50 quid for 2 years 

Can you explain how you do it and what VPN are you using ? 

I have a Google One VPN and i will purchase another one if it working ... do i have to do a specific settings on VPN ? because even when i turn on my VPN the Portal cant connect to PS 5

Some step by step it will be great... THX