cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Hub does not link to internet with devices connected by WiFi

pmc23
Investigator
Investigator

I have anEE 5G Smart Hub which worked perfectly for some time.  After a couple of months my laptop would show that it was not connected to the internet, even though it was connected by WifFi  to the hub.  A desktop computer connected via ethernet to the hub, had full internet access.  The problem would seem to spontaneously resolve itself after some days.  Sometimes re-starting the router would resolve the issue.  The problem has re-occured and neither my MacBook nor my iPhone  have internet connection, even though they both are connected to the hub by WiFi, with full signal strength.  My ethernet connection form the iMac continues to give internet access.

Any help in resolving this greatly appreciated - I should say that I no-longer consider myself technology savvy!!

11 REPLIES 11
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @pmc23,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Does disconnecting the affected device from the WiFi network and reconnecting it resolve the issue?

James

I am re-posting this  as I accidentally marked my last posting as problem solved when in fact the issue remains unresolved.

I have anEE 5G Smart Hub which worked perfectly for some time.  After a couple of months my laptop would show that it was not connected to the internet, even though it was connected by WifFi  to the hub.  A desktop computer connected via ethernet to the hub, had full internet access.  The problem would seem to spontaneously resolve itself after some days.  Sometimes re-starting the router would resolve the issue.  The problem has re-occured and neither my MacBook nor my iPhone  have internet connection, even though they both are connected to the hub by WiFi, with full signal strength.  My ethernet connection form the iMac continues to give internet access.

Any help in resolving this greatly appreciated - I should say that I no-longer consider myself technology savvy!!

Leanne_T

Hi @pmc23 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

I have removed the solution from your previous post. 

Have you tried disconnecting the devices from the WiFi network and reconnecting to see if this works for you? 

Can any other device connect to the WiFi network? 

Leanne 🙂

Hi Leanne

Thank you for removing the previous post.

I have indeed tried disconnecti9ong the devices (iPhone and mac book air) from the network, and reconnecting after a few minutes break. This did not have any effect. I have also tried removing the link to the router from both devices and connecting again, with manual input of the router password. This had no effect.

My iMac, which I normally connect to the router via ethernet, still has wifi connection if I remove the ethernet cable!

The situation gets even weirder. My MacBook shows that it is connected to the router, but no internet access is achieved, for email or for any web sites. My iPhone similarly indicates that it is connected to the wifi network, no emai are transmitted or received but I do have access to facebook and google, but attempts to connect to external links from either facebook or google fail. Attempting to reach any other websites results in eventually getting a message that the server cannot be reached.

Furthermore, I am unable to connect to my printer, which is on the same wifi network.

Mark (pmc23)

Thanks James, but I had tried that , but it does not resolve the problem

Leanne_T

Hi @pmc23 

Are you able to try the SIM from the router into another device to see if you can open the web sites? 

This would help us to know if this is a problem with the SIM or router 🙂

Leanne.

Unfortunately I don't have another device that I can put the sim into

Leanne_T

Thanks @pmc23 

If you have no other phone/device that you could try the SIM card, please call us and our tech guides will run through some troubleshooting to get this looked into for you. 

Leanne.

Thanks,

What is the appropriate number to call please?