Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart 5G Hub - Askey Poor WiFi signal

MikeS6
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys,

Received and powered up my new Askey HH20C this weekend and have 4 bars of 5G signal indicating on the router browser. I have an iMac connected via ethernet cable and I'm receiving 10.5Mbps down & 2.8Mbps up during busy periods, double that during not so busy periods, which I'm relatively happy with. The issue I have is with the wifi on our iPhone 14's and 2 x fairly new iPads which are receiving 3.8Mbps & 1.8Mbps respectively with a ping of 57. This is whether I'm testing the devices next to the router or at the far end of the house, meaning YouTube and the like are buffering. I also have Sky Q connected to the main box via ethernet plus a few Mini boxes connected also, one of which is on wifi whereas the others are fed via TP links. All the Apple devices and the mini's are buffering at this slow speed.

Is there anything that can be done to improve this speed or is this speed about what I should expect?

Mike

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

OK, thanks @MikeS6 

It may be worth having a chat with our technical support team so that they can check everything on your account from our side and check the performance of the network in your area.

Chris

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Christopher_G

Hi @MikeS6

Does the connection and speeds improve if you move the router to another area of your premises?
Chris

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for replying.

I have moved the router as you suggested with some improvements to the speeds (37, 14.3 up, 14.2 down) however what is more significant is that when I powered the router up in its new position, the LED first went flashing green as it should but then would only stay flashing pale blue/aqua until I did a reset with a paper clip to then get an internet connection and achieve the speeds as described above.

I then moved the router back to its original position in my home office where on powering up flashed green, then went on to stay steady aqua as it should, but has no internet connection according to my 2 x iPads and iPhone 14, which I’m typing up this reply on now using 5G (not WiFi) as the unit still has no internet connection no matter how many times I reset it with a paper clip.

Would appear a faulty router to me?

Mike

Just reset for a fourth time and now have an internet connection on all devices.

I forgot to say within my reply to you above, when I reinstalled the unit back into my office and reset it 3 x times due to it failing to provide an internet connection on my mobile devices, I didn’t have internet access on my iMac either - which as said is hard wired directly into the router sat next to it. Another point I failed to mention originally is that I live only 500metres from an EE mast, not that should have an effect I guess on a poor Wi-Fi signal on my iPads and phone when they are positioned next to the router.

Mike 

Christopher_G

OK, thanks @MikeS6 

It may be worth having a chat with our technical support team so that they can check everything on your account from our side and check the performance of the network in your area.

Chris

Thank you Christopher.

I jumped the gun on that one, rang them and they refreshed the new sim that I picked up from the local EE shop on Saturday. The speeds have currently much improved - around 24 down & 6 up, so well pleased.

They may not be brilliant speeds in themselves but they are good enough for what I use them for and a great improvement.

Mike 

Christopher_G

That's good to hear, @MikeS6 

Thank you for letting us know.

Chris