cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart 5G Hub 2 connection issues

Viktor9x
Explorer

I live in Milton Keynes & I've been using a Smart 5G Hub 2 for the last 2 months with no major issues, until about 3 days ago.

I've been used to decent connection speeds that matched the fibre line at my old address, anywhere between 190-320Mbps at around 20ms ping with 3-4 bars of reception, with my average speeds looking a little like this:

Viktor9x_1-1710529824580.png

However, 3 days ago (12/03/2024) my connection speeds tanked & the reception has dropped to 1-3 bars. With 5G enabled, my connection speeds are dropping to <1Mbps on a regular basis with ping spiking as high as 110ms & my average speeds now look a lot like this:

Viktor9x_2-1710530090143.png

I've now had to lock my hub to 4G only, because it's currently giving me a (fractionally) faster & more stable connection than 5G, but it's still only averaging speeds of around 2Mbps with 40ms ping.

The EE Service Status checker says 'Good network, but there was a problem' for my postcode & the Coverage Checker states that I should have excellent indoor reception, so I'm wondering if anyone can give me some pointers for troubleshooting the issues I'm having or if anyone knows of any 5G network issues currently affecting the South Milton Keynes area?

5 REPLIES 5
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @Viktor9x

Thanks for coming here. 

Does the Status Checker advise when the issue was fixed? we usually recommend allowing up to 72 hours for full service to resume after a fault has been fixed. 

Katie 🙂

Hi @Katie_B,

Unfortunately, the status checker didn't say when the issue was fixed. Everything seemed to be back to normal on Saturday morning (16/03), but since Saturday evening has dropped back down to barely usable. These are my last 3 speed tests:

Viktor9x_0-1710785144786.png

As you can see, quite a significant difference between Saturday morning & now. I've checked the status checker again & this is what I get:

Viktor9x_1-1710785419534.png

For an area that's supposed to have excellent indoor & outdoor coverage, the 2 bars of 5G signal & speed tests shown above appear to be suggesting otherwise at this point in time.

James_B

Hi @Viktor9x,

Please follow the 'still having problems' link to report the issue.

You'll be prompted to fill out a short questionnaire and we'll get back to you within 48 hours.

Thanks

James

sjm96
Investigator
Investigator

I'm having exactly the same speed issues, but not in MK. Everything was fine two days ago, now lucky to get 0.5mbps from 70mbps. 4G is no better. My latency is between 250 and 1054. I have a full 5 bar 5G signal.

No problems in the area, reported problem myself but reply was everything is OK.

Called this morning and they were going to send me a link so I could upload three screen shots so they can look into this further, but no email.  Does anyone have the link please? 😊

James_B

Hi @sjm96,

Have you checked your spam/junk email folder?

James