cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd and infuriating bug in 5GEE WiFi Device

kreggsea
Visitor

Hi folks,

I have a 5GEE WiFi (the white one with model number QTAD52E - I wish EE would use proper model names!) and a 5G SIM. The device works more or less perfectly except an extremely annoying bug which I can't find much evidence of online, and EE's so-called tech support don't know either.

When using the device via ethernet, as it is supplied with, it will only function properly once/a single session before requiring me power off the device and turn it back on again. Rebooting doesn't work, I need to physically hold the power button down and kill it.

Example - a Windows 10 laptop is plugged in directly via ethernet and the 5GEE is powered on. Will work perfectly. As soon as the Windows 10 laptop is rebooted, goes to sleep, or otherwise disconnects in some fashion from the 5GEE device, it'll stop working. It will continue to show a link to the device, but won't resolve addresses, won't ping, won't do anything. It does this on ALL devices I've tried, including a Win10 laptop, a Mac OS X laptop and two Linux computers. I've also tried different ethernet cables and even introducing an intermediary switch in between to see if it helps, which it doesn't. If I turn it off and on again, it works again as it's establishing a new session.

WiFi is completely unaffected - this is strictly via ethernet or connected directly via USB-C NDIS. 

I'm an infrastructure engineer to trade, so I know it's not my devices. It's the 5GEE device, and I can only assume it's a firmware bug. It's been factory reset numerous times and is running the latest EE supplied firmware. It does this on both mains AC power and battery.

Any ideas? I really need wired access, hence getting this model specifically.

6 REPLIES 6
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @kreggsea 

Thanks for coming here. 

If the factory reset has not resolved this for you, please get back in touch with our tech gurus on 0800 079 8586 and the team will run through some troubleshooting with you. 

Thanks. 

Leanne.

JoeBoissevain
Explorer

I have exactly the same device and almost exactly the same issue. If I am connected to the internet via 5G (Blue light) and using my work VPN it is slow but just about manageable. As soon as I disconnect from the VPN and put the device to sleep/power off it drops out (goes to red). 

I've been on multiple frustrating calls to 2nd line support and repair centre who can't seem to replicate the issue. I'm on what I believe is my 3rd device and 2nd SIM and the issue keeps happening. I have an EE 5G enabled phone which I hotspot with next to no issue often (including with VPN). EE need to investigate this further. I get good speeds and good coverage on my 5G phone in a city centre. 

Katie_B

Good morning @JoeBoissevain

Welcome to the community. 

I am sorry to hear replacement SIMs and devices have not resolved this for you. 

What was advised from your latest call to our Level 2 technical care team?

Katie

I've been around the block with EE a few times now and quite frankly I've had enough with this particular device. I've returned to using my 4GEE Mini Dongle with the 5G SIM in it. This NEEDS to be escalated and investigated further. 

As for the advice - it was the same as it always has been - turn it off and on again. UTTERLY USELESS basically. Please, please, deviate from the script and actually do some technical investigation work. 

Christopher_G

I'm sorry to hear that, @JoeBoissevain.

This is a user to user forum, we don't have access to your account. I can only recommend continuing to speak with our technical support team so they can carry on investigating this. Alternatively, you could raise a complaint though our online complaint form.

Chris

peter171167
Visitor

I have exactly the same issue

Now using a netgear m6 works perfect