cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini hub overheating

Bw2296
Explorer

Wether i use my ee mini hub with a battery or just plugged in it overheats in about 10-15 minutes and stops working completely. Is there any resolution to this or are they just poorly designed? It seems laughable that such a thing would get so hot when other electronic items that actually do a hell of a lot more dont get half as hot in twice the time is it just a novelty or is my hub faulty? Im only running my smart tv off of it which really isn’t close to its claimed capacity im interested to find out more if anyone could help id be grateful. 

5 REPLIES 5
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Bw2296  the device isn’t overheating the  battery is overheating because it’s had it. It’s like any lithium ion battery the more you charge it the more life you take out of it and the less power it can hold.  So when it’s being used it drains quicker and so heats up.  The device shouldn’t be used when plugged in as it’s a mobile BB device.   If you’re using this plugged in over long periods of time you’re basically killing the battery as you’re over charging it.      If that’s not getting hot when not plugged it up he battery needs to be replaced.     I’ve had my mobile BB router for over a year and it doesn’t over heat as it’s treated as a mobile BB devices.   Basically you treat it just like a mobile phone.. 

Thanks for your response. I still have the overheating issue with the battery removed it takes around 10/15 mins before shutting itself off completely battery or no battery.

Sent from my iPhone

@Bw2296  is that whilst you are using the device or it just sitting there plugged in? 

Whilst i am using it, aslong as my memory doesn’t fail i unplug when I'm finished but it tends to overheat before i choose to turn it off. I have my smart tv hooked which i just use for amazon prime or netflix. Sometimes ill have my phone hooked up to it just for imessage and whatsapp etc, today for example i hooked up my tv and started watching a film on amazon prime and after 10 minutes of watching, it crashed and the mini hub was extremely hot to touch no battery in just hooked to the mains through the micro usb

Sent from my iPhone
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi  @Bw2296

If you are experiencing issues which is potentially linked to the overheating of your device I would recommend reporting this to our technical care team by giving us a call. 

Katie