cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long term travel on contract

Aliroo_taylor
Explorer

I'm currently backpacking for another 8 months (been away 7 weeks), and I'm mid-contract with EE. My contract will end in January 2024.

I've got my EE SIM turned off to avoid roaming charges, and am using esims in the various countries I go to which is working well. 

My question is, will my EE SIM be deactivated if it is not used, and if so how long can it go? The roaming charges are very high so I would prefer not to connect my EE SIM - would it need to connect through roaming in order to count as "being used" to avoid deactivation?

And can I swap to a new contract in January 2024 from abroad?

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Aliroo_taylor

Welcome to the community. 

I hope you're having an amazing time travelling. 

EE contract SIMs will not be disconnected if not used hibernation only applies to pay as you go customers. 

Are you going to be looking to upgrade to a SIM only plan? we are unable to ship phones to addresses abroad. 

Katie

Hi Katie,

Thank you for your answer - that's a relief!

As for when my contract ends, I was hoping to move to a SIM only contract at that point - is this only possible if you physically change your SIM card? I do have a back up plan of a friend coming to meet me a month later so could feasibly have them bring me the new SIM card if it isn't possible to change to a new contract swapping physical SIM cards. 

Thanks!

Alice

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Aliroo_taylor

I hope you're well.

If you upgrade to a SIM only you will not be required to change your SIM. 

Should you have any other questions, please be sure to let me know.

Katie 🙂