Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistant and fluctuating speeds - 4G

Stevem97
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have a very peculiar issue, that has been going on for a few weeks now.

My internet speed over my 4G network has been very inconsistent or "throttled", in a sense.
When general browsing, using twitter, downloading a file, or a game from Steam, the speed seems to spike up and down and up and down, literally one second up, next second down to 0. SPIKES literally. And then sometimes hang at 0, effectively disabling any connection, for half a minute at times. And then spikes up and back down. It is very very inconsistent.

Watching videos on YouTube seems to be the only site that has been "unthrottled" sotospeak. It loads videos essentially uncapped at a consistent, high download rate. This is what really confuses me. How can YouTube, and as far as I can tell only YouTube, not have this weird fluctuating up and down download speed?

The 4G speeds for myself over the past few years has been generally very good until recently. I have tried a manner of changing different WiFi settings, trying different antennae, locations, all to no avail. There is nothing saying that the current network is down in my area either.
I shall also note that I am using a TP-link MR600 router.

9 REPLIES 9
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Stevem97 

Welcome to the community.

That does sound quite unusual. I recommend speaking to our technical support team about this.

Chris

Kirsty1011
Explorer

Hi did you get this resolved at all? I've got the same problem on mobile broadband

Ozziwill
Visitor

Hi Steve, did you resolve this? 
I also have the MR600 and have the same issues for 2 months now.

I have reset the router / new sim / new placement for router / tried other devices including a ee mini router with data sim in.

so far nothing is resolving.

EE claim nothing is wrong with the mast.

Eager to know if you found a solution!

Thanks  

Same here on 4g for ps4

Hamster0206
Contributor
Contributor

Did anyone get this fixed? As i have the same problem going from a download speed of upto 20mbps down to 0. 

Leanne_T

Hi @Hamster0206 

Welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear this is happening. 

When you put your postcode into our coverage checker and hit 'check status', does it say if we're aware of any problems in your area?

What device are you using? 

Leanne. 

No it doesn't, its been up and down for months, i do live in a rural position and have had a 4g router for a few years but lately the reception has been shocking.  

@tony1232 i have had exactly the same problem, no other option for broadband, i even upgraded my router to a TP Link Archer, which worked for a while but the speeds have dropped this week from 20mpbs to 0. 

Leanne_T

In this case please report this to our tech gurus by calling 07953 966 150 and the team will get this looked into in more detail for you @Hamster0206 

Leanne.