cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE sim in Huawei b535-232

Hollibus
Explorer

I've bought a campervan with a Huawei router B535-232 and external antenna. Previous owner had zero issues with all devices connecting to it, using a 3 sim.

I'm using an EE sim, and while gaining access to the internet is okay, and most devices are connecting, I'm unable to resolve the following 2 issues. 

Amazon firestick - so far I've been able to watch most streaming services via the firestick. Netflix however won't work - getting error NW-2-5. (worked fine for previous owner) Switching off and unplugging router and firestick for a couple of minutes has done nothing. Viewing Netflix on a laptop connected to the same router - no problem.

Security camera - we have a security camera that (used to) connect via the router. Now when I try to connect the camera I eventually get 'cloud service connection fail'. I'm pretty sure I'm going through the proper connection procedure, as I can get the device working fine by connecting to home broadband router.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks,

11 REPLIES 11
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Hollibus,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

For the Netflix issue, have you tried changing your content lock settings?

What type of security camera are you using?

James

Hollibus
Explorer

Hi @James_B 

Many thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how the content lock setting would have any bearing, given that I'm able to access Netflix using a laptop, connected to the same router as the Firestick. That said, I've checked and content lock is off. Thanks for the suggestion. 👍   The Firestick seems to work fine with all other streaming apps I'm using, e.g. Prime Video, Disney +, iPlayer etc.

The camera is a CPVAN CG1, same as this https://www.amazon.co.uk/SriHome-CG1-WiFi-Camera/dp/B08F3CVP38

I can get the camera to connect via the home broadband, but not the LTE router with the EE data sim. 

Both Firestick and Camera worked fine with the previous owner, same router, different sim.

I'm open to all suggestion. Thanks very much in advance.

Christopher_G

Hi @Hollibus 

Welcome to the community.

I've seen a few people mention splitting the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands in the hub manager and trying to connect to each separately. Are you able to give that a try in the hub manager?

Chris

MarkAlston
Explorer

I have had the use of three different Huawei B353-232 routers, all of them second hand from eBay, each with a different EE SIM. All have worked fine.

I bought another for my sister, who used it happily for a couple of weeks, but then received the Netflix NW-2-5 error and couldn't use Netflix. I had bought a Eufy video doorbell for her and tried to set it up and that didn't work either.

Thinking the SIM I bought for her might be content-locked, I swapped the SIM with one I had had unlocked from my router, to no effect. I then swapped the router. and put her SIM in it and it worked fine.

I bought another router from eBay and installed that today and it works perfectly with her SIM.

The issue matches well what you describe and would appear to be down to the hardware. It is very odd behaviour, because a lot of web sites worked fine, but some didn't and the connection kept dropping. I rather expected a software difference, but both routers were reset with a paper clip and both showed firmware version 11.0.1.2

Mark

Niceboy91
Investigator
Investigator

Just need to add that I'm having the exact same problem. Same router, EE sim. Some devices connect fine, some are temperamental. Smart TV allows access to Prime and YouTube but not Netflix or any other apps. Nintendo Switch won't connect to the internet at all. Different sim (vodaphone) in the same router works fine; same sim (EE) in a different device (my Huawei phone) works fine. Completely flummoxed and don't want to fork out for a new router. Did you manage to solve the problem? 

I was only able to solve it by buying a new (second-hand) router and yet the firmware and everything else appeared to be the same. A real mystery.

BigBlockOCheese
Investigator
Investigator

Hi folks, thank goodness you people exist, this problem has been driving me mad and at least I'm not alone!

I cannot get my Nintendo Switch to connect to my Huawei B535-200 4G router with EE SIM for love nor money. All other devices connect fine (iPhone, MacBook Pro, Xbox Series X) but the Nintendo Switch refuses point blank.

The Nintendo Switch can see the wifi network in the list of available networks, and when I start the process to "connect to the network" it shows that the Nintendo Switch console connects to the network device, but then fails to connect to the internet, and the process fails to complete.

I've tried every conceivable setting inside the router to no avail.

It's difficult to know what is to blame here. If all other devices work then that suggests the Nintendo Switch is to blame, but on a previous TP-Link router with O2 SIM, the Nintendo Switch would connect just fine, and the only thing I've changed recently is the move to the Huawei router with a new EE SIM, so that suggests it could be the router or SIM that are the issue.

It is such a windup, I've spent £xxx on the hardware and another £50 on the SIM and I cannot make it all work together!

Leanne_T

Hi @BigBlockOCheese 

Thanks for coming here 🙂

Are you able to try the SIM card you have in the router in another device/phone to see if the Nintendo Switch connects? 

Leanne 🙂

Depending on what you're hoping to do with the Switch the solution might be your APN settings. This was how I eventually managed to fix things my end, thanks to trawling through these forums for many hours!

Try creating a new APN profile that is IPv4 only. This has allowed me to access the Nintendo shop and download games etc - however last time I tried to play online with a friend there seemed to be connectivity issues which I haven't yet resolved (though that doesn't mean they are unresolvable) 

1. On a browser type 192.168.8.1 into the address bar

2. Log in using your normal WiFi password

3. Go to Network settings. Create a new APN profile by clicking the +

4. Use these settings

APN Profile Name = IPv4 [or whatever name you like] 
APN = everywhere
User Name = eesecure
Password = secure
Type = IPV4
Authentication = PAP

5. Save this as your default. Restart everything and try again

Think this can also be done following similar steps using the Huawei phone app. Hope this works for you!