cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE 5G router 2021 vs Zyxel NR5103

Profile closed
Not applicable

Good day All!

I recently took delivery of EE's 2021 5G router, which I believe is a white-labelled Zyxel NR5103.

Performance so far for internal Wi-Fi speeds has definitely seen a sizeable improvement vs my old Huawei CPE 5G router. That said, it does cut out at least once a day and all associated devices lose internet connection, but I'll save that for EE tech support!

My question is if anyone has had experience of using the Zyxel NR5103, specifically with Zyxel's UI and not EE's? Reason I ask is that EE's user interface seems to be very limited/ locked-down and in particular I understand that Zyxel's version has an app (Zyxel Air) which can be used to manage the router - however this doesn't work with EE's version.

Secondly, are there any other (better-spec'd) 5g routers that are worth looking at instead of EE's 5g's 2021 router? I'm locked-in for 18 months so want to ensure I'm using using the best device!

Thanks in advance.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

You are correct in your in all of your comments, its an EE badged NR5103 with EE Firmware and as you say the Firmware is very much locked down compared to normal Zyxel Firmware. There are a couple of Apps for Zyxel Routers the most useful being the Zxyel Alley and the Zyxel Air as well as Zyxel Nebula access, but as EE have locked the Device down to EE's Firmware then probably none are going to work for you.

On the Router itself, its pretty much up to speed with its specs, covers All of EE's 2,3, & 4G Frequency Bands as well as All of EE's current 5G Bands and more importantly will cover All of EE's 5G Re Farmed 4G Bands that EE plan to use in the future, as well as support for current 5G NSA and future 5G SA Networks, so it should pretty much do what it says on the tin, for now anyway, bearing in mind 2 years is short lived in Mobile Network technology.

As for your Once a Day Issue, ok, we wont go there, but it may be worth looking at the 2.4 / 5ghz Wifi Bands, maybe split them to give a bit more control over your connected Devices, and possibly look at the Routers Positioning around the Home for the best EE Signal Reception, a good place to start here in within the Admin Page that will give some Signal Info on the Status / Internet Page.

Chris.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

You are correct in your in all of your comments, its an EE badged NR5103 with EE Firmware and as you say the Firmware is very much locked down compared to normal Zyxel Firmware. There are a couple of Apps for Zyxel Routers the most useful being the Zxyel Alley and the Zyxel Air as well as Zyxel Nebula access, but as EE have locked the Device down to EE's Firmware then probably none are going to work for you.

On the Router itself, its pretty much up to speed with its specs, covers All of EE's 2,3, & 4G Frequency Bands as well as All of EE's current 5G Bands and more importantly will cover All of EE's 5G Re Farmed 4G Bands that EE plan to use in the future, as well as support for current 5G NSA and future 5G SA Networks, so it should pretty much do what it says on the tin, for now anyway, bearing in mind 2 years is short lived in Mobile Network technology.

As for your Once a Day Issue, ok, we wont go there, but it may be worth looking at the 2.4 / 5ghz Wifi Bands, maybe split them to give a bit more control over your connected Devices, and possibly look at the Routers Positioning around the Home for the best EE Signal Reception, a good place to start here in within the Admin Page that will give some Signal Info on the Status / Internet Page.

Chris.

Profile closed
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your quick response! I hadn't appreciated that EE's firmware would be optimised for current and future usage on its own network and so the trade-off here between using their white-labelled router (with no app access) vs. Zyxel's own (which comes with app access but may not be optimised specifically for EE) is one worth accepting. 

On the other matter, that's a very good suggestion. My Ring alarm and some Google home devices keep getting knocked-out so maybe they'd be better served on the 2.4Ghz band, so I'll give that a try.

Thanks again for your sage advice!!

andd360
Investigator
Investigator

mine keeps getting double nat on xbox series x but 2.4 works excellent on other devices here in devon

AW07
Investigator
Investigator

I'm also trying to decide if I go with this device and switch off Wi-Fi or use the Deco X80-5G instead. Any input is welcomed.

1. Can you turn off the WiFi on the locked-down EE version Router so I can use a TP-ink mesh instead? 2 I assume the TP-Link internet control and filtering would only work for devices connected via Mesh Wi-fi and not those on a wired connection to the EE Router if that was used as the 5G gateway?

Profile closed
Not applicable

I'll leave others to respond to your specific question, however what I can say is that in the end I returned the EE 5G router and bought a second-hand NR5103 (Three) on CEX. Its user interface is comprehensive - I could choose which mast I wanted to connect to, which then resolved the connection speed dropping (I get around 50MBps on the nearest 5G mast, but 300+ on the LTE/ 4g mast). I also no longer experience any drop-outs on my other services (Sky, ring etc.). Only point to make is that the UI is VERY detailed- but if you've no issues with this then I'd get the Three router. Which is cheaper and more configurable.

@AW07 wrote -  Can you turn off the WiFi on the locked-down EE version Router so I can use a TP-ink mesh instead? 2 I assume the TP-Link internet control and filtering would only work for devices connected via Mesh Wi-fi and not those on a wired connection to the EE Router if that was used as the 5G gateway?

I don't have an EE NR5103 Device to confirm the WiFi Bridging options, neither would I be able to comment on the compatibility of using 3rd Party TP Link Extenders, but if it helps you I can send you the EE User Manual that comes with the the 5GEE NR5103 Router and you can have a look through.

Thanks, I decided to go ahead and order it. The device was only £10 when ordered with an unlimited Sim, so if it doesn't do what I want, I can get another device and only use the Sim. It should arrive in the next day or two, and I will see how it performs before I make the switch

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@AW07 : I don't see how you can get an EE 5G router for only £10. Is that meant to be per month?

Anyway If you order by phone or online you always have a statutory cooling-off period up to 14 days after delivery to cancel your order FoC. If you order in-store you have no such "change-of-mind" right of return.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@XRaySpeX - I don't see how you can get an EE 5G router for only £10. Is that meant to be per month?

There's an upfront Cost to these Zyxel Routers, I believe it's 10 quid if you sign up for 24 months. 😉