cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE 5G Router / Smart 5G hub: Zyxel NR5103 -> Askey HH20C worth the upgrade?

gibfahn
Explorer

I have the EE 5G Router 2021  (rebranded Zyxel NR5103), and I see that EE now offer the Askey HH20C as their new 5G router.

Has anyone used both, or have any comparison data between them? The Zyxel has been mostly solid, but will have issues requiring a full reset and re-setup every now and again.

Also not sure whether I can upgrade to the newer router without cancelling and starting a new contract.

Looks like the new one doesn't support external an antenna (which I don't have so that's fine), and is charged by USB-C. Also seems to support WiFi 6.

5gee-router-2021-detail-1-Format-1120.jpeg

Screenshot_20231109_200043_Edge.jpg

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Morning @gibfahn 

Thanks for coming here. 

If you would like to discuss upgrading to a new router, please get in touch with our mobile guides who will be happy to help. If you order online or over the phone with EE and you decide to return the router, you can do this within 14 days 🙂

Hopefully some other customers will come along soon and let you know how they are getting on with this router. 

Leanne.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Leanne_T

Morning @gibfahn 

Thanks for coming here. 

If you would like to discuss upgrading to a new router, please get in touch with our mobile guides who will be happy to help. If you order online or over the phone with EE and you decide to return the router, you can do this within 14 days 🙂

Hopefully some other customers will come along soon and let you know how they are getting on with this router. 

Leanne.

gibfahn
Explorer

Thanks Leanne. I ended up upgrading. Differences between the two as far as I can tell are:

• Includes 6GHz WiFi (WiFi 6E), which should make things faster
  • Micro-SIM not mini-SIM (you can pop out your old one)
  • Power cable is twice as long (a little over 2m) and USB-C
  • Router is a bit smaller overall
  • Can't split 2.4/5/6 GHz networks any more (hopefully fixable in a software update)
  • Defaults to WPA3, so should be a bit more secure in general

My before/after (maybe unfair, as restarting the old router would often make things a lot faster as well):

• Before: 34ms ping, 70.3 / 33.4
    After: 13ms ping, 161.5 / 35.1

Hi Leanne,

I too have been having awful problems with my 2021 smart 5G router over the last 3 weeks after 16 months of fairly stable use. Mainly dropping out every day around 5-6 times with me having to reset it.

Tech support we’re fairly useless advising I should take my faulty router to a local EE shop for repair where it could be up to 2 weeks to do so. Expressing my feelings this was unacceptable to me they advised I should purchase another unit and connected me to sales.

Sales initially advised I could purchase another 2021 5G smart unit for £50.00, then phoned back to tell me they were all out of stock and would not be getting anymore in as EE would not be selling them in the future. The member of staff offered me a 2020 5G router with the privilege of bringing my contract forward even further than the 45 days allowed (by permission of her manager) to save me a £75.00 upgrade fee. This was yesterday and I stupidly agreed, albeit I know I have the 14 day cancellation in hand from today when the 2020 router arrived via DPD.

I write to ask how I go about purchasing the HH20C router as this appears to be a better and more stable way forward.

Best

Mike

Leanne_T

Hi @MikeS6 

Thanks for posting. 

If you would like to discuss your options and see which routers would be available, please call us again and the team will be happy to help. 

Leanne.

Thank you Leanne, I might do that following my cancellation of my new contract where EE tried to provide me with 4yr old technology which uses WiFi-2. The 2020 new router arrived yesterday as said.

Either that or I will put up with the shenanigans of my existing 2021 Smart 5G router, wait until the contract runs down this May, and go elsewhere.

Trying to shift old stock I would have to conclude and at the same time treating a client like a fool.

I've sent the sales lady 3 x emails yesterday posing questions regarding the new contract with includes terms and time (24m) that do not emulate my existing contract, and also asking why I wasn't offered the HH20C. If I had been offered it I would have purchased it - but it would appear nobody is prepared to reply to my questions. Not yet anyway.

Mike

Leanne_T

Hi @MikeS6

If you call us our guides will have access to the account notes, stock availability and your options for the account to help you further 🙂

Leanne.

MikeS6
Contributor
Contributor

This would be by phoning 150 and asking for sales?

Leanne_T

If you call 150 and select account queries, one of the guides will be happy to help @MikeS6 

Leanne 🙂

MikeS6
Contributor
Contributor

👍