cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE 5G Router / Smart 5G hub: Zyxel NR5103 -> Askey HH20C worth the upgrade?

gibfahn
Explorer

I have the EE 5G Router 2021  (rebranded Zyxel NR5103), and I see that EE now offer the Askey HH20C as their new 5G router.

Has anyone used both, or have any comparison data between them? The Zyxel has been mostly solid, but will have issues requiring a full reset and re-setup every now and again.

Also not sure whether I can upgrade to the newer router without cancelling and starting a new contract.

Looks like the new one doesn't support external an antenna (which I don't have so that's fine), and is charged by USB-C. Also seems to support WiFi 6.

5gee-router-2021-detail-1-Format-1120.jpeg

Screenshot_20231109_200043_Edge.jpg

14 REPLIES 14

Hi could you help me. I have ordered the new 5g smart hub but have been sent the wrong router out the one I have got is the 5g wifi 2 its flat and not like the tower version that I requested. reason behind the question is that does the 5g wifi 2 box support wifi 6e standard as the 5g smart hub. as can't seem to get a straight answer from the sales teams.

much appreciated 

Julian

I very much doubt it Julian is my understanding of your question. I'm certainly no expert but WiFi 2 technology seems a country mile away from Wifi 6. If you read my previous posts above, you will read they tried to fob me off by selling me a 2020 5G router (which was also flat like yours when it arrived), advising me that the 2021 5G Smart hub I wanted to replace my existing 2021 with like for like (they advised mine was faulty) was out of stock and not to be used/sold ever again by EE. I would suggest they have done the same to you also.

I sent mine back utilising my 14 day cooling off period when I read here that what I actually needed was their new HH20C router, but I  was unfortunately not offered it. I am now left with my original 2021 Smart 5G router which continues to drop out around six times daily and needs a manual reset each time. It was ok for 16 months prior to this happening during the last month, but as my contract runs out in May I will make a decision at that time as to what I might do then.

It's the HH20C router you need, not some 2020 version technology that they appear to be selling/shipping to get rid of old stock - thats how it would appear to me anyway, treating customers as mugs.

Mike

@Teffhead : According to EE Business mobile broadband  the 5G Smart Hub supports WiFi-6E. The EE 5G WiFi 2 makes no such claim, so I would assume WiFi-5.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks Mike for getting back. it amazes me how some of these people get jobs. I spoke to a lady in the technical department who clearly had no technical training what so ever. I was very kind and patient with her as I understood that she was obviously not capable of  giving me the answers I needed before going forward. A 5g wifi 6e compatible router which as I knew was the 5g smart hub advertised on there website wifi 6e compatible. I made sure that she was certain that this was the one that I would be getting she assured me that it was the wifi 2 version, I said no that's not what we discussed. I need the other. yes all sorted she said. DPD turned up wrong bloody router. trying to get any competent answers out of ee is like clawing through fog.

anyway sorry for the rant and very appreciated the kind info you sent over.

cheers

No worries. I blame the BT effect, years ago EE were brilliant to deal with. Now, not so.