cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE 5G Hub - Ping Spikes

TheBattleToads
Investigator
Investigator

Not sure if this is a common theme for mobile broadband on the 5G smart hub, but I've noticed for a while now that I get random ping spikes more noticeably from 9AM pretty much through into the late evening to about 11PM/12AM. 

General internet usage for browsing its not noticeable, and for work on VPN its fine but anything typically beyond that i.e. streaming services (Netflix, YouTube etc) I notice somewhat for it to be just a bit annoying. Anything like competitive gaming however becomes somewhat impossible.

Tried and tested:

- Auto mode for 5G/4G was default, and have tried just 4G only (4G RSRP -82 dBm RSSI -76 dBM with band B3+B3+B7+B7 versus 5G RSRP -94 dBm RSSI -87 dBm with band B7+B3+B7+B3)

Facts:

-Desktop via ethernet through Powerline adapter still observed ping spikes ranging from 290 up to 1000ms, however on mobile and laptop I don't always observe the same ping spike values, though they range from 60 ms up to 400ms sometimes).

- Speed is good, in fact - stupidly impressive. Through the day I get on average around 150Mbps, and in some cases it stretches to 200Mbps on both 5G and 4G. 

Any feedback is appreciative. In some other articles I've seen others modify profile management to have IPv4 only instead of IPv4andIPv6 but not attempted this yet. The user guide built into the admin page of the router doesn't tell you much on what profile management settings you can use. 

Thanks,

Edit 27/04 1024HRS - attached is a screenshot of the internet page under status on the hub. Mobile coverage seems to be a question asked a lot and want to ensure that I definitely have sufficient 5G coverage. Screenshot 2024-04-27 102612.png

4 REPLIES 4
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @TheBattleToads,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Does the Network Status Checker report any problems in your area?

James

Hi @James_B  sorry for my late reply. The network checker states everything is good, and green. 

Today unfortunately it seems to have got worse just in the normal day time. Getting pings of 3000ms just trying to work from home on a laptop. No other devices connected. 

Your Network Signals for both 4 and 5G (RSRP) look good, although the 5G RSRP could be aa little better, trying moving the Hub around nearer high window at different locations and see if can get better signal, the lower the - number the better, ie less than -90.

If your viewing Netflix etc through the Hub I would always recommend setting to IPV4 Only and set authentication to PAP.

What happens if you ReBoot the Hub when you having issues, also paying attention to the before and after Signal Quality readings.

IMG_0316.png

Thanks @EssexBoyEE for the reply. 

I moved the hub to a window sill of the same room and currently the values sit at 

RSRP
-84 dBm
RSSI
-75 dBm

however unfortunately from the speed test I was also advised to run by the mobile team yesterday this is the sort of speed I am getting as everything has come to a standstill, even with just simple browsing. 

besides PAP and IPv4, any other settings? I only ask because I noticed in the hub it says dial number, APN, username and password (but greyed out by default since it’s just on the default profile when I got the hub). 

thanks