Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5GEE router USB port for a USB/Ethernet adapter

eep1fc
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

The 5GEE router has a USB port.

Can I use a USB/Ethernet Adapter on the USB port?

Thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

The USB port is a quasi-Ethernet adapter anyway.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Not sure if the answer is a yes or no.

The usb port is not a RJ45 so need an adapter. Also there might be driver support needed.

If you plug the USB cable from the router into a PC USB port it will act as if it were Ethernet.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Not all 5G Routers do, can be model specific, most that dont have an RJ45 Ethernet normally have some form of Ethernet over USB but its normally designed for Laptop (Windows Installs the Drivers for USB Ethernet to work), using an USB to Ethernet RJ45 Converters can be problematic again due to the specific USB Drivers, in some cases where there are RJ45 and USB on the 5G Router the USB can simply be for Firmware Back Up and Restore, whilst others have the added benefit for USB Stick or USB / SSD Additional Storage.

As usual its not always Plug and Play.

eep1fc
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the great discussions. My question is specific to the EE 5GEE router (2021 version I believe).

Does anyone know for sure if it can be used for USB/Ethernet adapter? If so, which model and which chipset of the adapter?

the USB port can be used for storage such as external HDDs.

The EE 5GEE 2021 is a Zyxel NR5103 (not the NR5103e), the Router is quiet comprehensive, but, on the EE version the Firmware is very much Locked Down by EE.

Why do you need USB to Ethernet?, Can you not just do what you need to do by sniffing off one of its RJ45 Ethernet Ports?

eep1fc
Contributor
Contributor

The existing Ethernet ports are only gigabyte. Some USB Ethernet ones can go up to 2.5G or 5G or even higher.

Really, are you sure about the Port Speeds. ,I would need to look into that one, out and about at the moment.

Not sure how you would test the Ports via the Radio Modem though, outside of Lab Conditions  your very unlikely to get more than +1gb Speed from current 5G Networks in the real world without using some 5G NR CA Bandwidth and some good 4x4 MiMo trickery, future NR SA Networks maybe.

eep1fc
Contributor
Contributor

Since it is a router, the 5G network speed is only part of the puzzle, and perhaps the least to be concerned. There are many devices connect to the router, wired or wireless. I am trying to remove the bottleneck of the gigabyte ports by seeking possibility to use USB adapter.