cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Router Connecting to distant EE transmitter

pjordan
Explorer

Does anyone know if its possible for EE to prevent my router from connecting to a certain transmitter?

Our house and external ariel are in a direct line to two transmitters in the Cumbria area.  More often than not, we connect to the transmitter that is broadcasting a long way away, rather than the local transmitter.

Tech support haven't been able to assist so far - just wondered if anyone knew more about the technicalities of locking onto a specific transmitter, rather than bouncing around?

Thanks
Paul

1 REPLY 1
Drpau
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

This probably won't fully answer your question but gives you a start point. There are some apps out there that allow you to do something like this. I have a Huawei b818 router. There is an app for this I use called huaCtrl. This allows me to pick which frequency on the 4g band I use as primary for better carrier aggregation and better speed and I can tell it to ignore certain bands if I want. This may help you if the distant transmitter is on a different band if that is giving you slow speed you can ignore that frequency. I'm not sure who makes the 5gee router. There may be an app that works with it and allows this for the 5g bands. Also you could try switching off the 5g and just using 4g. Sometimes 4g is just as fast as 5g depending on the area and usage.

For me every night EE switch of certain bands to save energy so each day I have to tell my huaCtrl app to pick my chosen band as the one it drops back to us only about 40mb compared to 100+. It's a bit annoying. They never used to do this but think it's here to stay after energy crisis.