cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffering/Drop Out

FlorencesDad
Investigator
Investigator

I stream hi-res music from Qobuz via a EE smart hub. I have FTTP and the Full Fibre 500 service. The streamer is connected to the hub by ethernet cable. Unfortunately I still experience buffering whilst listening to music with occasional long pauses which spoils the enjoyment. I have been advised that this could be due to the router connecting to a distant server and that I should check that the router DNS settings are set for Google Public DNS. Unfortunately I haven’t any idea how to go about checking this and how to make any necessary changes to the settings. Any help and guidance would therefore be very much  appreciated. Also, might the buffering issue be lessened by setting up a port address for the streaming box? Again, I would appreciate help as I have zero knowledge of what I would need to do.

Many thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Neil-O
EE Community Support Team

Hi @FlorencesDad welcome to the community and thanks for posting. It's not possible to change the DNS settings in the Hub, you may be able to do this on the device itself but you'd need to check with Qubuz to see if it's a setting they facilitate.

This link explains how to set up port forwarding  Port Forwarding: Access an External Network or Server from Home | Help | EE

Thanks

Neil

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@FlorencesDad   before trying to change any settings, it would be worth eliminating some things with a few simple checks.

1. What speeds sre reported when you use https://www.speedtest.net/  idealy post the link with your results.

2. Are you getting issues when streaming from other similar sites iPlayer, Youtube and so on?

3. Is anything else streaming when you notice the drops on Qobuz?

4. Are you using a VPN when listening to Qobuz?

HTH

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

I really don't understand all this buffering of streaming on these multi-100 Meg lines. I hardly get any buffering of streamed TV on a TV or streamed music on Alexa on a 70 Meg line both over WiFi.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thank you. I’ll try reaching out to Qobuz re the DNS settings.

That’s good to know.

All worth checking. Thank you.