cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Coverage checker query; Is it rebranded 4G frequencies or true 5G NSA N77/N78

MR-J
Investigator
Investigator

Hello,

I am in the process of setting up a dedicated antenna (MiMo 4x4) with a 5G router and have a direct site of the local tower.

Using the EE coverage checker it says I can get 5G, but the company I am doing the install with has queried whether this shown 5G signal is in fact rebranded 4G frequencies or true 5G NSA N77/N78.

Is there a way to know this before buying the hardware?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
bristolian
Legend
Legend

The website coverage map makes no differentiation between the 4G or 5G carriers in its predictions. 5G N28 is not refarmed 4G.

The vast majority of EE's current 5G deployment is SA, with some limited NSA trials underway.

EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@MR-J - I am in the process of setting up a dedicated antenna (MiMo 4x4) with a 5G router and have a direct site of the local tower.

Its worth pointing out that the 5G Signal may, or may not, come from the same 4G Mast that the Router will Registered to, as EE use Multi Site NR ENDC, so its worth taking this into account when deciding on the Antenna location and direction.  

@MR-J - Using the EE coverage checker it says I can get 5G, but the company I am doing the install with has queried whether this shown 5G signal is in fact rebranded 4G frequencies or true 5G NSA N77/N78.

The Coverage Checker will show a Coverage Prediction  of a 5G Signal Overlay over the existing 4G Coverages, there is no information as to what 5G Bands are being used within the Coverage Map.

What do you mean by true 5G NSA N77/N78, the n78 Band was the original first Band to be released in the UK for 5G use, since then n28 has been allocated as well, also the Networks can use their existing Bands, so in the case of EE possible 5G Bands could either or a mix of n1, n3, n7, n28 and n78. 

@MR-J - Is there a way to know this before buying the hardware?

Ideally you need a RF Site Survey of your location prior to the Installation of any specific Hardware and Antenna Type in order to ascertain the RF 4G and 5G Bands and locations in use for your Area, is this something the Install Company can do for you.

Thanks for your reply.

@bristolian wrote:

The website coverage map makes no differentiation between the 4G or 5G carriers in its predictions. 5G N28 is not refarmed 4G.

So are you saying N28 is not a rebranded 4G 800Mhz frequency?

@bristolian wrote:

The vast majority of EE's current 5G deployment is SA, with some limited NSA trials underway.

Forgive me isn't this the other way around?

Thanks for your reply and info.

I'm trying to work out if this is going to be a true 5G or using N28 which is a rebranded 4G 800Mhz frequency.

Thanks again for your help guys, I'm going to give EE a call and see if they have any further info.

'edit' but your right a site survey/test will be ideal!  Thanks!!

bristolian
Legend
Legend

You are correct in querying my previous post which should read "The vast majority of EE's current 5G deployment is NSA, with some limited SA trials underway"

EE operate the 700Mhz band purely for 5G, and 800Mhz purely for 4G. There is no 5G deployment on N28 800Mhz, although it's common for the 2 techs to co-exist on the same sites.

@MR-J - I'm trying to work out if this is going to be a true 5G or using N28 which is a rebranded 4G 800Mhz frequency.

N28 is not a rebranded (Re Farmed) 4G Band, its a dedicated New 5G Band that was Auctioned off to the UK Networks (Although Vodafone declined the Band Offer), the Networks using n28 are EE, O2, and Three, although Three are sometimes using the n28 Band as an 4G Anchor on B28 in some Areas.

800mhz Band is commonly known as B20, where as the n28 Band is 700Mhz, I believe you maybe confusing the two.

EE are not using B20 as n20 for 5G Use, if you refer to my previous Post it mentions which Bands EE currently use or intend to use for 5G.

Out off interest you mentioned a dedicated 4x4 Mimo Antenna, its unlikely that you will get 4x4 Mimo on current n28 Bands at the moment, only 2x2 Mimo, which Device and Antenna type do you plan to use.

MR-J
Investigator
Investigator

Thank you both I've learned a lot!  👍

I'm actually looking at a few options but one that seems quite feasible is the ZTE MC889.  I like the fact I can run a CAT6 at any length to the router/aerial.