cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just switched to EE and the latency is horrible for gaming

ROVER6
Investigator
Investigator

Hi everybody, I recently switched to EE and it has been terrible for me. The speeds have been a constant 52mpbs which is the package I have but it is terrible for gaming as I keep receiving latency spikes (it would go from 18ms to 150+ms which causes my games to freeze). Has anybody got an advice like a cheap ethernet wifi booster that is compatible with EE.

Another issue I'm having is my pc connects to the network and after around 5 minutes or so it disconnects and refuses to let me connect again until my pc restarts. It isn't the PC's issue as it worked with my previous ISP (virgin media) very well. Does anybody have the same issue or a fix?

Thank you very much!

5 REPLIES 5
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @ROVER6 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Do you have home broadband or a mobile broadband account? 

Which router are you using? 

Leanne.

Hi, I really appreciate you getting back to me.

It's a home broadband with the smart hub plus router.

Paddy-B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @ROVER6,

Thank you for posting. Being a gamer myself, I know how frustrating lag and latency can be. There are a few things you can try to help improve things. If you haven't already tried, I would try resetting your hub. When your Hub reconnects it should reconnect on the less congested wifi channel.

The best way to reduce latency is to connect hardwired if possible. Hardwired is a direct connection to the hub which means your connection will be less likely to be impacted by interference or Wifi congestion.

EE Enhancer can help to boost your connection when gaming. You can find out more here - Wifi Enhancer

Thanks,

Paddy

Hi Paddy, thanks for getting back to me.

I am unable to get my PC set up next to the router downstairs with an ethernet connection. That's why I am looking at getting an ethernet wifi range extender/booster. I can try my Xbox with a wired connection and I'll try it now. I'll let you know if it works.

I've had no luck with EE wifi enhancer as I can't find it on the app. I know I should be capable of using it but it is no where to be found within my app.

Thank you again.

Melon3
Visitor

Wired is always going to be better than wireless. WiFi uses radio waves which aren't as reliable or fast as a direct connection.