cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Upgrade Anytime worth it?

Profile closed
Not applicable

I am 8 months into my iPhone 13 PM plan and my early upgrade is about £1K.

If I sell my current phone, I can recoup a lot of the early upgrade cost, however, feels like I would have been better off on a Smart plan with Upgrade Anytime.

From this page:

'between six and 12 months into your plan there's a £50 - £300 upgrade fee depending on what device you have'

What sort of upgrade fees are people paying? That's quite a big range.

I don't really care for Smart benefits, as I don't really use any subscription services. Is it worth the extra monthly cost alone just for Upgrade Anytime?

I like to change phones often and just trying to work out my best option in terms of value and overall convenience. Being able to trade my old device into EE would be brilliant.

25 REPLIES 25
Jimbob150687
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

So you’re saying the handset cost is an upgrade fee? 
That isn’t true. You still have to pay for the handset upfront cost if it comes with one. What I don’t like about this is anytime upgrade but still have to pay if within 12 months of contract even though my contract keeps getting extended due to having to wait for iPhones to be in stock so my contract anniversary changes every year 

Jimbob150687
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

O2 don’t change an upgrade free for upgrading before 12 months and you don’t need  to upgrade to a more expensive phone either. So yeah they could if they wanted 

@Jimbob150687 you don’t have to have a more expensive phone it’s the tariff.   And these contracts are for that period of time and you want to terminate early.    Try looking at EE flex plans and not the annual upgrade tariff. 

MiTcHgM
Investigator
Investigator

I would be avoiding this particular tariff. When I signed up they made it sound very easy to just swap your phone whenever you want to without an early upgrade fee. In fact you can't change handset unless you move to a higher tariff. This may not provide good value for lower users that just want a new handset. Perhaps if EE were more transparent with the cost of the handsets the tariffs  would not be so confusing? Sky tell you the monthly cost of their handsets and you add an airtime plan on top and know exactly what you're paying for. 

jamil27
Investigator
Investigator

I can't wait until my contract ends and I can finally ditch this miserable network provider.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @jamil27 

Is there something that we can help you with?

Chris