cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Upgrade Anytime worth it?

Profile closed
Not applicable

I am 8 months into my iPhone 13 PM plan and my early upgrade is about £1K.

If I sell my current phone, I can recoup a lot of the early upgrade cost, however, feels like I would have been better off on a Smart plan with Upgrade Anytime.

From this page:

'between six and 12 months into your plan there's a £50 - £300 upgrade fee depending on what device you have'

What sort of upgrade fees are people paying? That's quite a big range.

I don't really care for Smart benefits, as I don't really use any subscription services. Is it worth the extra monthly cost alone just for Upgrade Anytime?

I like to change phones often and just trying to work out my best option in terms of value and overall convenience. Being able to trade my old device into EE would be brilliant.

25 REPLIES 25

Please update your website that anytime upgrade its not for free if you upgrade after 12months to same specification handset just to latest model, because there will be upfront fee towards the handset when u trade in old phone. 
it’s not free! Unless downgrade spec for new handset. There is no Bussiness for customers. Better to take handsets direct from manufacturers i.e Apple and get SIM card only. 

very misleading and not all information published on website. 

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Justelis

Welcome to the community. 

Could you send me a link to where it says it's free please and I'll look to get it updated? I have had a look at our How can I Upgrade Anytime? help page and it says that you can upgrade with no upgrade fee. If there is a charge for the phone that you choose for your next contract, then that would be payable.

Chris

Looking to upgrade my phone and I was attracted to the Upgrade Anytime deal.  

The website is manifestly misleading, when I read "after 12 months there is no upgrade fee" I think cool "no upgrade fee". 

To read here that that is not the case has settled my mind.  IMO this is deliberately misleading, and abuse that warrants challenging in court - not least to generate the appropriate negative publicity for EE.

Really disappointed in this uncharacteristic 'sharp' practice - and it is extremely unlikely I'll be renewing with EE now.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Hatchet 

Thanks for coming here. 

You can find full details in our How can I Upgrade Anytime?, Help page. 

Leanne.

MiTcHgM
Investigator
Investigator

I feel that I have been massively mislead by EE around this tariff. I've tried to find a deal several times and eventually specifically told that I have to take a contract that costs more money in order for me to be able to benefit from this. This was not explained at all when I last upgraded. Now I know that this is all buried deep in the T&C's but there really needs to be some accountability around how you're selling contracts. I've been with EE (and Orange prior to the changes) for decades and really feel let down and in 6 months time when my standard upgrade is due I'll be seriously considering the competition.

@MiTcHgM    Perhaps you should have read the T&Cs before you agreed to the contract.   An upgrade anytime will have T&Cs as it’s still a 24 month contract but you’re being allowed to upgrade early and you think EE will allow to just right off the original 24 month contract so you can have a cheaper tariff.      You agreed to a 24 month contract regardless of when you can upgrade.     

Thank you for your condescending response @Chris_B .

@MiTcHgM   If you think it’s condescending thats probably because you take no responsibility for not understanding the contract that you agreed to.   So it must be the network’s fault.    

I understand the contract, the caveat I was referring to was not specifically mentioned and feel that it's something that should be mentioned at point of sale. Are you employed by EE specifically to jump to their defence so that they do not have to take any responsibility themselves for the sales tactics?

Jimbob150687
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Not really anytime if you charge an early fee to upgrade before 12 months. If I get an iPhone I have to wait a month or so because of shortages so my contract is always going to be longer so I have to wait to upgrade every year.