cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to Leave EE due to the huge price increase

Damient
Explorer

The subject explains really why I want to leave EE. I'm 1 year and 4 months into my contract and with the huge price increase imposed on the contract I'm looking to leave. 

According to Citizens advice I have the right to cancel my contract with in 30 days of the price increase issued but does say not without a possible fee.

I'm not looking to walk away without a fee but wanting to pay off the phone as its only fair. When I've called twice now I'm told the cost with includes my line rental and phone. Doing this I'd be best off staying with EE . 

Has anyone managed to cancel the contract and just pay for there phone and not the total cost of the contract thats left?

14 REPLIES 14
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Damient 

Welcome to the community.

We want you to stay with us; but if you leave within your price plan’s minimum term, there may be a charge to cancel your contract early and it sounds like you've already been quoted this.

I realise that your post is aimed at other EE users to find out information about what they have been advised, so others may be along shortly to answer your last question.

Chris

bristolian
Legend
Legend

EE's standard plans don't separate the cost of your plan and phone - they are bundled into one single monthly payment, with no concept of "paying off your phone".

If you want to terminate early, then the fee you've been quoted is very likely what you will need to pay. If you remain with EE, you will continue to receive service for that same cost.

Bear in mind that all other major providers are also increasing prices, and at least one other operator is imposing a larger increase than EE - so you should also factor that into your future buying decisions.

TimGarrett
Explorer

I asked the same question and was given appalling attitude. They just didn't care. I asked the guy who called me back to tell me "not our problem, you're in contract" if they care about customer service and he said no. On a recorded call... He then backtracked when I asked him again. 2 price increases since taking out my contract in Jan last year. Up over 25% now from the starting price. 

Asked to leave and quoted the citizens advice bureau and they just said no. Asked to reduce my contract to less data (I'm on 100gb but that was a special deal of 25gb x4) and they said no. 

Increasing 14.4% this time around is awful, I know it says in out terms and conditions that it's CPI plus 3.9% but normal CPI is 2-4% not 10.1%. EE could have made a huge PR move by allowing people to choose if this is affordable for them and letting those that wanted to leave, leave.

Look at Sky mobile, no price increases in contract. If they can do it, why can't EE?

Sky mobile piggy back on another networks infrastructure, so they do not need to pay the up keep of all the infrastructure. While I agree 14.4 % is excessive all most all networks do this and some are going even higher than EE 14.4% .

G Alston
iPhone 15 Pro Max

@TimGarrett   That’s because sky want you in contract.  When you’re out of contract you don’t have to pay to get out if you want to change networks.   It’s in their interest to have you in contract with them. 

And unfortunately EE don’t set CPI and are only honouring the contract that you agreed to.    At what point do EE stop honouring contracts?  As that would mean a customer doesn’t have to honour a contract so what the point of a legal document that both parties agreed upon.    Yes EE could have done something better but it’s in the contract.    

Jayney3
Visitor

My contact had ended so I left and went to Smarty sim only. No contract. Tenner a month unlimited calls texts and 60 gb data. 

What infrastructure costs, exactly?

This was a beautiful piece of luck for BT. Covid hit their profits hard, and the insane CPI rate was an opportunity to fill one of the many gaps they had - and to soften the blow for significant future expenditure. 

There were discussions about capping the increase as a goodwill gesture to customers - but the dollar signs were just too much to resist. 

I am going to do exactly the same thing! I will wait for a few months for my contract to end  and I will go for a Sim only! Bye bye EE

I know a few that have already . They really shown they look after the customer in difficult times. I have 4 months left now and can’t wait to leave