cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I been ripped off?

jamiehellawell
Explorer

I went to my local ee branch on Sunday to upgrade my phone to a new contract. I was greeted by someone I knew from when I was younger and she was helping me through the phones and such. Anyway I did like the Samsung Galaxy S23 but the label said £67 per month which was a bit too much I knew I'd get a discount for upgrading so was hoping for more around the £45 mark. Instead I got the pixel 7 pro which was £63 but went down to £50 which was willing to go to. My friend the worker then furthered the discount by 25% we had a good chat she asks how much data do you want you currently use around 4gb, I said can I have about 10gb to be safe get told yeah sure, oh wait unlimited everything cheaper apparently, okay happy days, I walk away with a £40 contract happy days. Roll on Wednesday I get tempted looking at the S23 as that's what I wanted. See the summer sunshine deal or whatever it's called, S23 starting at £54 that's before any type of upgrade discount never mind the friendly gesture. The pixel is starting at £43 before any type of upgrade discount plus I could have gotten a more tailored deal for savings when it seems I was just put on the 'most popular' plan rather than cheapest. I just got told to sign the contract on the tablet didn't get chance to read it. I feel a bit like I've trusted an employee to do the best by me and they haven't. The deal started on the 30th June and is phone in branch and online. I went Sunday the 2nd July. Can someone please explain whether I've got something wrong or I've been ripped off a bit please? I'm quite annoyed as my old contract was a Samsung and I wanted to keep to them but obviously was out priced due to iffy pricing it seems. Whether accidental or something else I would like to know what I should be paying based on the promotion and whether this can be rectified within my cooling off period.

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, you did!

@jamiehellawell wrote:

I just got told to sign the contract on the tablet didn't get chance to read it.

You insist on reading any contract carefully before agreeing to it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thank you I'm glad it wasn't just me being daft. I know I should've read it I usually do I just trusted an old friend very naively and rather densely I must admit!

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @jamiehellawell 

Welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy with the deal that was offered. The best thing to do in this situation is to pop back into store to discuss this. There isn't a cooling off period, but if there has been a mistake made, I'm sure they'll do their best to help you.

Chris

I don't understand why there wouldn't be a cooling off period. It always is and should be, you need to try the phone and signal and so on before you can fully submit to their contract. There's something fishy going on. Do go to that shop and try to speak with somebody else than your friend because when I went once upon a time but not too long ago they did do me a very good deal so I see no reason why they wouldn't do it for you and of you want S23 then stand by it and don't get wrapped into totally different deal or phone, I wouldn't. Good luck to you and hope you get it sorted very quickly to your satisfaction. 🤞

@Zurivka3 wrote:

I don't understand why there wouldn't be a cooling off period. 

Cuz it's the law! The legislation for a 14-day cooling off period ("Distance Selling") only applies to orders made online or by phone. When buying from a store you have the opportunity to inspect & try the goods & ask any Qs.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)