cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elderly vulnerable person mis-sold contract

toothfairy
Investigator
Investigator

My mom popped into an EE store to ask a simple question on 7/11/12. 

Three hours later she left with a mobile phone and contract that was completely unsuitable.

My mom is approaching 80 years of age and gets very confused. She left the store browbeaten with zero understanding of the contract that they had got her to sign. My mom has cataracts and could not see the paperwork she is also diabetic and had been in there for 3 hours. She felt completely overwhelmed with the situation and signed paper work to get out the shop.My mother was told that she had the best deal and lots of data. My mom absolutely doesn't need 25G data and the phone is unsuitable for her arthritic hands. I am so upset that a sales person was able to do this to an elderly vulnerable disabled visually impaired person. My mom returned to the store the next morning supported by her carer. She tried to explain that she did not want the phone or contract but was told it was too late and that she had to have it. It is awful that she had been presurissed into this deal and was also still unaware of the cost. When I visited yesterday I discovered what had happened and I had to look at the paper work and explain how much it was costing a month. This is unacceptable something needs to be done my mom is so upset and feels overwhelmed by the situation........it is wrong to target elderly vulnerable people into mobile contracts.......especially when you can visibly see that the person was struggling to understand.

I would really appreciate if someone can help me with this.

20 REPLIES 20

@MargarerR   All this comments is only 3 comments,  mine wasn’t about EE.   And as you can see it’s isolated incidents as that’s three comments in just over a year so it’s not common practice.   It’s also not EE it’s the individual in the store at that time who is making that sale who is at fault.  These sales people are the ones who should be going after as they are the ones who are selling the products.  

IceBear
Explorer

We have just had something similar in the EE store in Bury St Edmunds. 

80 year old mother in law walked out with a similar for her phone and a Galaxy tabled with a sim. She paid £50 for the tablet and was made to think that it was all part of the phone similar at £12  per month for 12 months. Its actually £9 extra per month for the tablet and its only worth £150 max anyway. She has no requirement for the data on a tablet. She doesn't leave the house with it. EE confirmed that she was only using half a gig of data a month.

Only just got a letter and She noticed there were two payments going out. 

Sim contract 12 months, tablet 24 months. Never used any data on it ever.

Shes feeling really awful and realising how vulnerable she is... but that nice young man.

The whole family are with EE  now considering a move to 02 when up for renewal. 

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @IceBear

Thanks for coming here. 

I am sorry to hear about your mother in laws recent experience. 

When did your mother in law go to store?

Have you been able to revisit the store to speak with the store manager?

Speak soon, 

Katie

I was in June last year. We have arranged to go into store this Saturday to
speak with the manager of the store.

She only realised she was paying twice when she got two paper bills in the
post.

Kerry
Katie_B

Thanks for getting back to me @IceBear

I would recommend taking any paperwork your mother in law may have been given at the point of sale.

Please be sure to keep us updated here on the community.

Katie

Milli4
Investigator
Investigator

Hello, 

My 86 year old grandad has been mis-sold a Google Pixel smartphone. He has also been sold Broadband that he doesn’t require - a total cost of £50 per month from his pension. 

He made this purchase in store in chelmsford and we have been told that we cannot cancel this contract, even though we are within 14 days of purchase. 

I believe EEs actions in store are against the law as he clearly wasn’t aware of what he was signing up to, which I EE have a duty of care to ensure their customers understand the contract. 

Please can you help resolve this situation, so we don’t need to escalate any further. 

Regards 

BrendonH
Community Hero
Community Hero

@Milli4 there is now 14 day cooling off period in store in afraid and this is why the stores are doing it for all networks to get you suckered in and they keep their commission.

Google EE CEO email address send them an email you'll get the executive team on the case. This happened to my mom and that's what I did and I got it sorted.

Thr store manager on other hand is lying they have discretion to be able to cancel the contract.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Katie_B

Hello @Milli4

Thanks for coming here. 

I am sorry to hear about your grandads recent experience. 

Have you been able to revisit the Chelmsford Store to speak with the store manager about your complaint?

The information provided is correct, store purchases do not have a 14 day cooling period.

Speak soon, 

Katie

Hi, ok thanks I will try this. 

We did go back in and the sales person was not empathetic at all and just kept saying he had done him a good deal. Absolutely disgusting. It’s visible he does not understand what broadband even is. Is there any other advice you can give to how I can get this resolved?