cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elderly vulnerable person mis-sold contract

toothfairy
Investigator
Investigator

My mom popped into an EE store to ask a simple question on 7/11/12. 

Three hours later she left with a mobile phone and contract that was completely unsuitable.

My mom is approaching 80 years of age and gets very confused. She left the store browbeaten with zero understanding of the contract that they had got her to sign. My mom has cataracts and could not see the paperwork she is also diabetic and had been in there for 3 hours. She felt completely overwhelmed with the situation and signed paper work to get out the shop.My mother was told that she had the best deal and lots of data. My mom absolutely doesn't need 25G data and the phone is unsuitable for her arthritic hands. I am so upset that a sales person was able to do this to an elderly vulnerable disabled visually impaired person. My mom returned to the store the next morning supported by her carer. She tried to explain that she did not want the phone or contract but was told it was too late and that she had to have it. It is awful that she had been presurissed into this deal and was also still unaware of the cost. When I visited yesterday I discovered what had happened and I had to look at the paper work and explain how much it was costing a month. This is unacceptable something needs to be done my mom is so upset and feels overwhelmed by the situation........it is wrong to target elderly vulnerable people into mobile contracts.......especially when you can visibly see that the person was struggling to understand.

I would really appreciate if someone can help me with this.

20 REPLIES 20
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @toothfairy,

I've sent you a private message. Please check your inbox and get back to me when you can.

Thanks

James

@toothfairy  I totally get where you’re coming from as my old next door neighbour had this happen to him all but it with a different network.  They sold him a contract for an iPhone 4,  that’s how long ago this was.  I called that networks customer service to have ago on his behalf to try and get it out of the contract and to point out he couldn’t read so he had no idea what he was actually getting into.   The response was are you his carer because if not we can not help you with this.    This ended up going to debit collection company and I wonder why that was.  

Oh and for anyone interested I’ll not say the name of that network but it ends in a 2.       

Unfortunately all network store staff will take advantage of someone just to make a sale and that needs to be addressed.  

Absolutely Chris , it is a vile way to treat people. 

There should be safeguarding in place to prevent cohesion. 

Nhw
Visitor

Hi there - I was wondering what the outcome of this has been: This has happened a couple of times now to my elderly mother who has gone into two different central london EE stores, and has been mis guided into a new contract. The most recent time, she did not consent to new broadband and, was asked for various details by the sales assistant. When she asked why she was being asked all these details, the SA replied it was just standard procedure but she was actually signing her up for a new Broadband contract without her consent. I would like to make a formal complaint about this as I know this has been a common occurance in EE stores - misleading elderly/vulnerable people into contracts/products. It would be helpful for me to know of other people who have been through this experience and what they have done about it. Many thanks, Hannah.

Christopher_G

Hi @Nhw 

Welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to your mother. I've sent you a private message so that we can look into this. Please have a look and get back to me.

Thanks

Chris

Good morning 

The same has happened to my Elderly mother who has dementia and is vulnerable. She poped into EE shop in Northfield, Birmingham on 22.04.23 to ask if she could buy a new USB c fast charger as hers had broken. Instead is forced to sign a new contract for 31 a month contract for an oppo phone that wasn't needed or wanted. And also a contact for home broadband account to be switched to bt for 30 a month.

She didn't need as she already had broadband and didn't ask to switch. Just given the paperwork hidden with the phone one. Out of order really poor on your part EE. She said she couldn't see the paperwork and was forced to sign and your sales assistant wouldn't take no for an answer. Felt pressurrused. How can your sales staff target vulnerable elderly people like this. Now she needs to cancel what she's been signed up for.

Katie_B

Good morning @Gneill54

Welcome to the EE Community. 

I am so sorry to hear this and I would love to see if we can help get this looked into. 

If you are happy to proceed, when you have moment please check your community inbox. 

Katie

MargarerR
Visitor

Something similar has just happened to my 86 year old mum. She went into the shop because she has had a msg to say her phone bill was being increased to  a whopping £78 a month and wanted to know when this was going to change . She came out with a new contract for 3 different SIM cards which even I am struggling to understand what they are for. She was misleadingly sold another tablet ( I have realised she was already sold one the last time she renewed her phone contract which she had no idea she has been paying for) she now has 2 of these tablets. She was told by the assistant that she had reduced her bill to £38 which is a lie as her bill also includes this so called free tablet which she is actually paying for, so her bill is over £50 a month. My mum has no idea what she has been sold. I feel like taking this to watchdog as reading all these comments this is not the first time this company has taken advantage of vulnerable elderly people. 

Katie_B

Hello @MargarerR

Welcome to the EE Community. 

I have sent you a private message for more details. 

Speak soon,

Katie