cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE to replace RPI increases with CPI+3.9%!!!

Plymouthbloke1
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hold onto your hats people..... from next year EE is reportedly replacing RPI with the slightly lower CPI figure.... but slapping 3.9% on top of that figure! So for example of CPI was 2% next year, the price increase would be 5.9%!

So, this will involve a massive change to consumers terms and conditions. Will this allow customers to exit their contracts without penalty? 

This is going to backfire spectacularly methinks....

174 REPLIES 174
Colstalex
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I had forgotten about Sky, but still would be good if the other major networks followed suit.

I totally agree with you there.

It's the reason why I no longer buy the phones from EE and only go sim only.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Colstalex
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Same here, although with all these inflation plus increases plus the best deals being on 24 month contracts, sim only is losing its attraction. The likes of giffgaff and Smarty appeal now, smarty even give you Wi-Fi calling. 

I am with EE purely for the gifting.

But Sky has started doing something similar.

You can gift the data stored in your PiggyBank as they store your unused monthly data each month.

Only issue is Sky uses the O2 network and thats useless in my area and at my in laws house.

redbullman
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

It's completely irrelevant whether they told anybody about it.  That is not the point, which I outlined a few posts ago.  In the current climate it is offensive and completely unacceptable to increase prices this year. I was shocked they did it.  Most in this country did not receive a any rise last year and won't for years to come as companies are fighting for survival (that's if you're lucky enough to not have been made redundant already). When furlough finally ends we will see record numbers of people unemployed, probably millions.

In that climate it's outrageous. It's legal but completely immoral and doesn't sit right.

EE would have benefited by great publicity by doing the right thing and people would have flocked to join them.

I'm appalled to be honest. I'm sure many will leave on point of principal.

Disgusted.

Colstalex
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Sky do Wi-Fi calling now as well, depends if your phone is compatible of course

@redbullman wrote:

It's completely irrelevant whether they told anybody about it.  That is not the point, which I outlined a few posts ago.  In the current climate it is offensive and completely unacceptable to increase prices this year. I was shocked they did it.  Most in this country did not receive a any rise last year and won't for years to come as companies are fighting for survival (that's if you're lucky enough to not have been made redundant already). When furlough finally ends we will see record numbers of people unemployed, probably millions.

In that climate it's outrageous. It's legal but completely immoral and doesn't sit right.

EE would have benefited by great publicity by doing the right thing and people would have flocked to join them.

I'm appalled to be honest. I'm sure many will leave on point of principal.

Disgusted.

People need to stop hiding behind the coronavirus pandemic. EE has been effected as well as everyone else. EE won't be the only company putting prices up.

@Colstalex wrote:

Sky do Wi-Fi calling now as well, depends if your phone is compatible of course

I know they do but if I go into town WiFi-Calling is then not an option for me.

I'll grab a few PAYG sims for different networks at some point and stick it in my second sim slot to find the best one with signal. EE has degraded since January and I've only lived here 2 months.

I have reported an issue in the area as I never used to have this poor signal when I first moved in.

redbullman
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Much cheaper to go to.smarty.  pixel 4a 5g like most contracts is only available on 5g, which is the networks way to rip you off.  Especially now when everyone is stuck at home, 5g makes no sense.  You can buy the phone for £399 from smarty and put a £10 per month sim in it which gives you 30gb for £10!!.  So that's £26/27 a month over 2 years.  On EE when a pointless 5g contract you have to pay over £50 a month!  

Just doesn't make any sense to stay on contract when there is a such a saving to be had.

Colstalex
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@redbullman wrote:

Much cheaper to go to.smarty.  pixel 4a 5g like most contracts is only available on 5g, which is the networks way to rip you off.  Especially now when everyone is stuck at home, 5g makes no sense.  You can buy the phone for £399 from smarty and put a £10 per month sim in it which gives you 30gb for £10!!.  So that's £26/27 a month over 2 years.  On EE when a pointless 5g contract you have to pay over £50 a month!  

Just doesn't make any sense to stay on contract when there is a such a saving to be had.

Agree, and you can even have unlimited data for £20 a month with 5G coming along, EE want £37-41 a month with annual increases on a 24 month contract.  Not for me, I will be off soon.