cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE to replace RPI increases with CPI+3.9%!!!

Plymouthbloke1
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hold onto your hats people..... from next year EE is reportedly replacing RPI with the slightly lower CPI figure.... but slapping 3.9% on top of that figure! So for example of CPI was 2% next year, the price increase would be 5.9%!

So, this will involve a massive change to consumers terms and conditions. Will this allow customers to exit their contracts without penalty? 

This is going to backfire spectacularly methinks....

174 REPLIES 174
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Plymouthbloke1 

It's ok leaving EE but then you face similar increases with other networks, which are inferior.

It is a Kobayashi Maru (no win) situation. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
Plymouthbloke1
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Not as high as other operators! CPI+3.9% is quite a lot! And I wouldn’t class Vodafone as “inferior” to EE...

Largewhippy
Investigator
Investigator

Why 3.9%? How is that calculated? What does that represent?

Just had my price increase email and was not aware this was happening.

I've been a customer of EE with 4 phone contracts for 10+ years and have always been aware of and accepted the annual RPI increase - it's inflation after all. But this is a flat 3.9% increase - for what??? - on top of inflation!!!

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @Largewhippy

Welcome to the community.

As you have multiple plans with us with different rates applied, you need to know about both RPI and CPI+3.9%.

This is because RPI impacts any contract that started before 1 September 2020, and CPI+3.9% impacts any contract that started from 1 September 2020.

You can find more information HERE

Katie 🙂 

Thanks @Katie_B 

I fully understand RPI and CPI.

What I do not understand nor can I find any explanation for is the "additional 3.9% added by us". How is that calculated? What does it represent? Why is it added on top? Just seems like an additional levy/charge to me, over and about any inflationary increases you might be seeing across the business.

I don’t believe in no win situations 

😅😅😅😅

*reprograms simulation* 

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Largewhippy

CPI+3.9% reflects the level of investment we need to make within our business to continue our major investments in networks and service, while also prioritising vulnerable customers suffering fro financial hardship or digital exclusion.

Katie.

Amazing! With investment levels at more than SIX TIMES the rate of inflation (as measured by CPI), then I guess we can all expect the EE network and customer service to be absolutely phenomenal in the future. 🤔 I certainly hope so, as it seems existing customers are the ones funding such investment.

@Largewhippy wrote:

Amazing! With investment levels at more than SIX TIMES the rate of inflation (as measured by CPI), then I guess we can all expect the EE network and customer service to be absolutely phenomenal in the future. 🤔 I certainly hope so, as it seems existing customers are the ones funding such investment.

Well yes us customers are funding the investment.

Without customers they can't invest as they'll have no money.

Simple business.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below