cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the download speed to Japan very very slow only have 5-7MB per second?

samuellau
Investigator
Investigator

Why the download speed to Japan very very slow only have 5-7MB per second? 

I am using www.myspeedmeter.net to check the download speed from UK to Japan. 

6 REPLIES 6
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Which EE Home BB do you have?

Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
samuellau
Investigator
Investigator

My EE broadband plan is Fibre Max 100.  

Regarding this website (www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html) only check the speed from UK TO UK only.

I need to check the speed is from UK to JAPAN.  Download only have 5mb or less.

Home Broadband

That's right! I wanted to see your raw speed 1st before I comment on your speeds to afar.

Now you are being unclear about the resultant speeds. In your OP you said it was 5 -7 MBytes; now you say 5 Mbits. There is a factor of 8 between them. Net speeds are usually measured in Mbits. Which is it?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

IMG_6678.jpeg

This is a speed test result from UK to Japan by using Fibre 100 using my speedtest.net. The results shows only have 4.8Mbps per second. 

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

Latency/speeds to Japan are not going to be great, whatever way you look at it.

I also wouldn't put too much faith in that speedtest either. I'm on the Plusnet network at the moment and it's wildly variable for me based on whether or not I am using a wired or wireless connection.

Wired (this line is capable of 900+mbps, easily evidenced by using a UK-based speedtest): -

wired.png

Wireless (same connection, and I can easily pull 200-300mbps using a UK-based speedtest): -

wireless.png

Fo a more reliable measure, I'd suggest using the speedtest.net site directly. There's an option to change the server the test uses. Search for 'Japan' and there are a few options to choose from there. My wireless tests are much more favourable when doing so.