cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI range dropping out

wifiwoes
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, this problem seems to gotten worse over the last few weeks/months. Basically the broadband speed is stable at all times when using an ethernet cable and is fine most of the time via wireless. However, at random times (happens 1-3 times a day) the speed slows to a complete halt when connected via wireless. My laptop/phone show the devices are still connected with 3 bars but pages either don't load at all or if they do its very very slow. I'm getting speeds of around 0.08-0.014 mb/s on a broadband speed test when this issue happens. The router is downstairs and my laptop is upstairs in my bedroom but I'm still able to get a decent connection at around 15-30 mb/s via WIFI most of the time when its working fine.

When the issue pops up, if I walk nearer to the router the speed returns to normal. If I stay in my bedroom and leave it sometimes the connection returns to a normal speed on its own but most of the time it won't. I have to switch the router off and on again to get it the connection working again in my bedroom. It seems something is causing the range of the router to temporarily decrease and switching it off and on again seems to reset the range back to normal. Factory resetting the router has not solved the problem. Does anyone know why this might be happening? Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

WiFi is variable & unreliable at the best of times.

Are you connecting on the 5 GHz band. If so, for longer distances, use the 2.4 GHz band. It might be slower but has longer range.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@wifiwoes   you may be getting interference from other nearby routers, could that be possible?

If so a Wi-Fi analyser on your phone or laptop could help identify channels that are less congested so that you can then move the router to those channels. I use inSSIDer on my laptop, there are free versions available.

Which router do you have? The modern "Smart" Hub/Routers have Smart Wireless that are supposed to move Wi-Fi channels to the best ones, but sometimes they are not so smart, so often best for you to choose! 

I'm using the 2.4 GHZ band. I appreciate WIFI can be unreliable at times but this problem appears to be different to the standard WIFI speed dipping in and out. Like I said, the connection speed completely slows to a halt and only returns to normal when the router is switched off and on again. Why does switching the router off fix the problem for a temporary amount of time before it happens again?

Next door's WIFI shows up on available networks so maybe its that which is causing interference. Is it possible mobile phones can cause interference? It's a bit odd the connection doesn't cut out completely just the range of the signal seems to decrease temporarily until the router is restarted. The router I have is the EE Smart Hub.  I've not heard of a WIFI analyser before so ill check them out. Thanks.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @wifiwoes

Please give us a call on 0800 079 8586 and our Broadband Tech team can get this looked into for you. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Leanne.