Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP keeping my landline number.

JohnP56
Investigator
Investigator

Landline number will disappear soon.

Will EE be offering  VOIP for their customer's existing landline numbers?

I have seen the BT YouTube video for setting up a WiFi VOIP phone, it didn't show how the  landline number is  associated, it concentrated on setting up Alexa instead.  Please help and advise.

Also with these linux handsets will we also be able to connect to WhatsApp & FB Messenger?

23 REPLIES 23
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@JohnP56  EE don’t offer VOIP and I doubt they ever will.  

Using a Linux device with apps will be down to the developers of those apps that has nothing to do with EE.  

EE will eventually take over all BT Consumer custs as their main BB + home phone provider. As such they are sure to provide Digital Voice (DV), BT's take on VoIP.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

To add to the above, landline numbers are not disappearing, it is the old analogue way of delivering phone calls that is going. In many cases you will simply use your old phone but plugged into the back of your router, other solutions will no doubt follow.

Hello Chris_B,

Thank for your prompt reply.

This BT video about setting up  one of their own branded handsets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARxwt3XLShE
What I would like to know is how I would receive my landline call with something similar (BT or EE branded) from my EE Smart hub. 

Hello XRaySpex,

Thank you for your reply.

Talking to a friend who works for the EE consortium, she comes from German T-Systems part,  she was saying that the consortium might  eventually own BT.

I'm interesting is the Digital Voice and if it will work with my EE smarthub and how the service would be presented to the smarthub. 

As the IT volunteer with a charity I wiil have roll this out on our phone systems.

JohnP

Hello Mustrum,

Thank you for your reply.

My EE smarthub doesn't have the phone socket so I would need a either an ATA or to use  it via WiFi.

JohnP

When this all comes to pass will we still have to pay the extortionate landline rental fee or will it all be part of the EE homehub rental?

Nicholas_Ros
Visitor

Actually, you don’t have to use BT or EE’s VoIP service, you can use any VoIP provider of your choice.

You can port your existing landline number to Vonage for example, Vonage is a VoIP provider and you can use it on any broadband connection anywhere in the world.

You can port any telephone to anywhere you like as long as it’s physically possible.

check out VoIP providers T&C’s on number portability.

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@Nicholas_Ros - the problem with porting a number from a fixed landline that has a broadband service running over it, is that it's likely to cease both the fixed line service and the broadband.