Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using own Router on Fibre Max 900 connection

DaveH22
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi

I’m another one using their own Router. (Sorry 🙁)

I have a 900Mb/s Full Max installation and have an Asus ET12 Router Installed. It’s setup for PPPoE.

I have been limited to download speeds of c.400Mb/s and, until recently, assumed there was a problem with my connection. Openreach guy turned up and proved a much higher speed with the EE Smart Router (Unopened and never used). 600Mb/s.

I want to use the Asus router for its Mesh capabilities and range. (I need the range for 2 external cameras).

I’ve since read that PPPoE may be restricting my speeds but that’s outside my area of expertise.

Any ideas that might help me achieve the performance I’m hoping for?

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@DaveH22   there is no issue using your own router, you do need to use PPOE to authenticate with EE, no idea where you would read it slows things down.

As for speeds, how are you testing and with what equipment?

DaveH22
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Speedtest and a MacBook Pro. Also iPhone 14 Pro.

This is where I first read it. Similar scenario.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Speed-drop-on-Asus-s-ZenWiFi-AX-XT8-mesh-pair-i...

That article suggests switching off Smart Connect, nothing to do with PPOE.

Are you able to test over an ethernet connection?

DaveH22
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Smart Connect is already off. Have also tested using an Ethernet connection to MacBook. Similar results. EE Smart Hub was significantly faster either way.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
DaveH22
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Already done that. A Cat7 Ethernet cable plugged directly into USB Hub then into MacBook Pro

Already done that. A Cat7 Ethernet cable plugged directly into USB Hub then into MacBook Pro

@DaveH22   Not sure what you mean by this. Did yu mean and  the ONT?

Did you use the same ethernet cable between the ONT the routers? There have been examples of people using cables not able to support 1Gbps - either between the ONT and router, or router and laptop/PC.

DaveH22
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I don’t have a cable of lower spec than Cat6.

My connection is :

USB C port on MacBook Pro

To Hub USB C Hub 7 in 1 HOPDAY USB C Adapter, USB C to HDMI Dual Monitor for Macbook Pro/Air,HP,Dell,Surface, Multiport USB C Docking Station (4K HDMI,100W PD,2 USB A 3.0,USB C 3.0,SD/TF Card Reader) https://amzn.eu/d/cuk6H6X

To Ethernet on Router

Same result as Wireless from iPhone