Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a TP link router as AP with EE

Vealester
Visitor

Hi All!

Looking to help a friend here:

He wants WiFi in his Summer house. I have done installs for people before using a router as an AP connecting to the main router using powerline.

However i have heard mixed stories about doing this

As he descbribed his EE router as black in colour. I want to use a TP-Link AC1200 as an AP in the summer house, connected to the EE router with TP-Link TL-PA4010 powerline adapters. Would this would and if so is there anything i need to know prior to the install?

Thanks! 

2 REPLIES 2
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You could try mimicking To make a 2nd Brightbox as a Routing WAP on your LAN to the main Brightbox

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Vealester   the only way to say for sure is to give it a go.

But a couple of thoughts, the speeds you get from the AP are dependant on the Powerlines and the ones you have chosen have a max speed of 600Mbps, which sounds like plenty, but will depend on the distance and electrical wiring in the house and to the summer house.  Other powerlines are available, and higher spec ones may give better performance in the summer house. 

TP Link seem to like using the same name for many of their devices, one I found TL-WA1201 | AC1200 Wireless Access Point | TP-Link United Kingdom only has one ethernet socket, which may be plenty in the summer house if everything there uses WiFi - but you may have in mind another model. The one in my link has a neat diagram showing the set up you have in mind.

HTH