cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Asus router along with Smart Hub Plus?

Investigator
Investigator

Without much research, I impulsively signed up for EE 1.6gbps broadband and it was installed on 1st Dec after 10 days of signing up. However, I was annoyed to find out that the Smart Hub Plus was inadequate with only gigabit LAN ports after several calls and visits from the OP engineers. 

As my laptop is hardwired, I needed a new router, so fast forward several weeks later to last weekend, I finally decided to go for the cheaper option and get the Asus TUF AX6000 router and ASUS RP-AX58 AX3000 extender (to replace the Smart WiFi Plus). Unfortunately, the new setup seems to have poorer WiFi coverage on the second floor - Based on a test speed, WiFi speed is down between 200Mbps - 300Mbps compared to the EE router setup.

Getting the TUF AX6000 was more of a backup in case this happened and since it has, is there a way to use the Asus router as router-only mode (as I still need to 2.5Gbps port) and have the Smart Hub Plus to transmit WiFi? I have tried disabling the WiFi on the Asus router and disabling DHCP on SH router but to no avail. 
6 REPLIES 6
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@56K wrote:
I have tried disabling the WiFi on the Asus router and disabling DHCP on SH router but to no avail. 

I would have thought that'll work. Did you make the IP Addy of the SH+ to be diff from that of the ASUS but on same subnet, e.g. if ASUS's is 192.168.1.1, make the SH+'s 192.168.1.2?

Have you tried with not disabling DHCP on SH+ router?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
juiceof2limes
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

As @XRaySpeX  says, this should work.  I am using an ASUS router as my main router connected to the SH+ (as I have DV) although I am not using the SH+ WIFI. I've had this same setup when I was previously with BT. Yes there is talk of double NAT but I've not experienced or noticed any issues.

On SH+
Firewall - UPnP OFF
IP4 Address is 192.168.2.254. 
I have DHCP OFF but if your using SH+ WIFI, you might need it on but I would first try without as ASUS should issue DHCP. If you do turn it on, don't include 192.168.2.1 in the range as it is used for setup on ASUS.

On ASUS
WAN Settings -
   WAN Connection type is STATIC IP
   WAN IP should be 192.168.2.1 (address of SH+)
   MASK should be 255.255.255.0
   GATEWAY should be 192.168.2.254   (SH+)

IPv6
   CONNECTION TYPE set to PASSTHROUGH

That should be it if I remember correctly.

Martin.

Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeX  Yes, I set the IP of the SH+ accordingly - Based on the client list, I made sure that it wasn't conflicting with any existing ones. I did try leaving the DHCP on but the SH+ keeps blinking red. 

@juiceof2limes I have followed your settings but the SH+ still wouldn't connect. Furthermore, none of the ports on the main router (Asus) were working. 

juiceof2limes
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I've realised you are wanting to use this is in reverse order, i.e ASUS being the PRIMARY router connected to the ONT with the SH+ piggy backing off the ASUS.  What I previously described was the other way round.

Given that the SH+ has limited flexibility in what can be changed, I am not sure it will work.

You should be able to set the Asus as the primary router by setting the WAN port to PPOE and the username of the standard BT/EE router.

However, the EE royter does not have a passthrough option, so likely to also try and authenticate using the same info and fail or screw up both routers. But if you don't have DV you could just leave the EE router in the box.

Investigator
Investigator

@juiceof2limes  Ahhh I see I have failed to mention that in the initial post. Yes, I'd like to use the Asus as the primary router (and router-only mode) because of the 2.5gbps LAN port and connect it to the EE SH+ and SWifi+ to transmit WiFi because they provide better coverage and speed on our second floor. 

@Mustrum I don't have any issues connecting the Asus router to the ONT and so on. It's just that using the Asus router and extender yields poor coverage and speed (unless I purchase more extenders) but using the Smart Hub+ and Smart Wifi+, I had better speed and did not experience any drop-offs on the second floor. 

Quite unfortunate then... Looks like I may have to look at getting more equipment.