Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPLink Deco M5 mesh on EE Full Fibre router

ConfusedGeek
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I have been investigating this all day and looking around the forums including here and not found anyone with this problem.

I have EE full fibre and trying to setup a Deco M5 mesh to replace the routers wifi to improve the WiFi coverage of the house and garden.

I setup the Deco as an access point and connect it via Ethernet to Port 1 of the Smart hub. When I look in the 'My Devices' Port 1 shows all devices that are connected to the Deco (wifi and ethernet) with the IP Numbers 192.168.68.100+ 

The issue is none of these devices can connect to the internet, its like the Smart Hub or the Deco is blocking the traffic, but I cannot find any setting in either device to solve the problem.

I even forced the Deco to use IP Numbers 192.168.1.10-20 so it was in the same range as the router and that does not solve the issue either.

Does anyone have any idea want I have missed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind regards

One very confused IT guy.

5 REPLIES 5
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Have you got DHCP switched on in the Deco?

When in access point mode, deco disables the options for DHCP, so I’m going to say it’s switch off, but I might try setting it back to router mode and make sure DHCP is off then reset back to AP, router mode is the only time you can access the DHCP settings.

forgot to mention, the laptop doesn’t work via Ethernet through the deco either

laptop > Ethernet > port 0 on EE router   Works fine

laptop > Ethernet > deco > Ethernet > port 0 on EE router   (Detected by router,  but no internet traffic)

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

With DHCP OFF you can't be forcing the Deco to use IPs 192.168.1.10-20.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thank you @Mustrum and @XRaySpeX , your comments gave me the lightbulb moment, I was trying to setup the deco along side the existing network so I could test it without disconnecting the Wi-Fi etc and causing that ‘There’s no Wi-Fi end of world panick’ in the house. So this morning before anyones awake I turned off the dhcp and Wi-Fi on the EE Router and set Deco to access point and it all works fine, created myself another 2 problems but at least I know it works. Reset everything back to EE router before anyone noticed and will play again when everyone’s out for the day.

many thanks again to you both for the feedback.

One source of DHCP helps, but I wonder if you can do away with the EE router if you have full fibre and an ONT?

Not sure what your Deco can do, but could be worth exploring.