Static IP

donataz
Investigator
Investigator

hello, im still uncertain when it comes to Static IP adress. Does EE provide me with one if I asked? As I see other broadband providers do. Having a small home server I need access to a static IP, have been with EE for some years now really loved the service up to this point, will be a shame if I have to move on. I saw the option on the router, but not sure if it works

35 REPLIES 35
Pippincp
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

No, your IP is dynamic as are most residential ISP's. Could you tell me which other ISP's supply residential static IP adresses? BT, Virgin Media, Talk Talk, Sky, PlusNet etc don't.

Depending on what you are trying to achieve a free DDNS server may provide the answer.

a simple search on google showed vodafone, sky seem to offer these services unless we are talking about different things. 

Pippincp
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

SKY

Vodaphone

Static IP adresses are offered to Business customers but not to residential. If you can find and link to anything different I am willing to be corrected.

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Why do you need a Static IP? Most users don't. In most ways a Dynamic IP is safer.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Zen offers static ips
https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Home-Broadband-Static-IP-Address/td-p/263384... - vodafone , the topic u supplied was very old, this is much newer. There are plenty more that are from 2019 that support static IP , so I guess will be moving there 

Pippincp
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Why the need for a static IP?

are you serious? 

Pippincp
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Yes, why do you need a static IP?

Forget that, I just read your first post again.😂

IT-4BusyPeople
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

EE Don't offer a static public IP address option on their home broadband.

If you really really need one then you will need to go with another provider: Zen, A&A etc.

The alternatives if you wish to remain with EE for home broadband are:

1. Invest in a DDNS solution ie. both your router and domain registrar will need to support this. Draytek with their entry-level routers support DDNS and they offer a free DrayDDNS service which would be sufficient for home usage. However, for this to work reliably (if you want to use a domain name for your home server that isn't the one provided by the DDNS provider) you will need to ensure your domain registrar supports the frequent update of DNS records. 123-reg, for example use a fixed expiry time of 4 hours which isn't much use with DDNS which really needs an expiry time of sub 10 minutes.

2. Go with an overlay solution such as A&A's L2TP-VPN which will give you a static IP address, but will require your router to be configured to maintain an outbound L2TP-VPN connection. (Aside: this approach currently also works over EE's mobile broadband, so could be useful if you want a backup in case the fixed broadband service breaks...)