Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up multiple gateway IPs

Sallyfields
Investigator
Investigator

Hi there,

As we now have a significant number of IOT devices around the home I'd really like to set them up on a separate VLAN in order to keep my data secure from any possible vulnerability exploits in these devices.

Trouble is I cant see anyway to create subinterfaces in order for each VLAN to have a gateway IP on it's own subnet.

I'm suspecting this is impossible, in which case can I configure the EE smarthub to effectively just be a modem and add in my own third party switch?

It feels ridiculous that with the high prevalence of smart devices ISPs aren't helping end users to be more secure...

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Sallyfields  no you cant set the Smart Hub to modem mode, and nor can you create multiple VLANS.

You could always use your own more capable router.

Oh well 😞

I'm guessing something like this would fit the bill...

Linksys MR9600 Dual Band Mesh WiFi 6 Router

Would I just replace the smarthub outright or still use that as the final node connecting to the internet?

No, that can't replace the EE SH. It has no modem. You would need to find a VDSL modem router for that. You could use that as a wireless access point (WAP) with the EE SH still in place. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks @XRaySpeX 

If I were to keep the EE SH and attach the linksys router as a WAP that would probably server my purposes...I'll just run my vlans to the linksys router and then point that to SH.

Or am I getting my proverbial wire(less)s crossed?!?

@Sallyfields  I can't see how that will work, that router in access mode will have its ip range provided by the SH.

If I understand you, then you will need a more capable router, have a look at the Draytek range. https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison/router-comparison 

Sorry, I shouldn't have suggested as a WAP. That LynkSys needs to used in Router mode.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)