cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMART HUB ISSUE

TG247
Explorer

we changed our broadband supplier to EE because SKY prices was going up more and more each month so we decided it was time to find a better deal.

I contacted EE because i have never had an issue with our mobiles and was very happy as a mobile customer.

I explained i was looking to change supplier they said they can offer me the same speed as SKY for a better price plus extra as i was already an EE Mobile customer this was perfect and decided to go with EE.

I have never had an issue with Sky their speeds Download/Upload and the wifi range was excellent no issues.

Our SKY HUB was located in the living room I could be down the garden and still be connected to wifi it was excellent and it was constant. All our devices around the house connected fine including outside Nest Outdoor Cams. Playing Xboxes was also great wired and wireless for myself and our children we was able to load maps fast and have great pings.

We switched to EE and now the wifi range is awful i had to move the SMART HUB into my childrens bedroom upstairs so it can connect to the Nest cameras outside.

I have to run a wired ethernet cable from upstairs all the way down to the living room when playing on my Xbox with the children.

I play Call of Duty my ping is rubbish and every game i go play the maps and match load  everyone has already started at leased 30 seconds sometimes 1 minute before i can play. It is not the xbox as this was never an issue when i was with SKY nothing has changed except provider.

Our internet drops our signal and speed tests are choppy on the graph. I get everyone in the house complaining at me saying we should have never changed which causes problems there signal is rubbish there games lag and sometimes buffer when we watch tv.

My Nest Cams loose connection and not recording.

I contacted EE and they told me their Smart hub is newer than Skys Hubs but if that was the case then why is it so rubbish you would have thought they would be better.

I am not sure how they are going to fix this issue to be honest i am now in the contract and doubt they will.

We have had the engineer out 3 times in the first 4 weeks switching everytime he runs a test everything is running fine to the house as i was expecting as we never had a problem with SKY.

My thoughts on this issue is the smart hub it is rubbish and is not as good as SKYs so when our contract is up we will be switching back to SKY not a happy customer as a broadband customer with EE

4 REPLIES 4
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

Is it the BB as a whole dropping or just the WiFi connections? Do Ethernet connected devices stay working? What colours are the light sequence when it happens?

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings > System > DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information. Obscure your names & any numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try both a wired & a wireless speedtest here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @TG247   assuming it is the black smart hub you have, and not the white smart router, have you split the Wi-Fi bands?

Also is your Xbox connected via Wi-Fi or ethernet?  

@Mustrum : Eh? Why me? OP says its the Smart Hub.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@XRaySpeX  sorry, corrected now, got distracted multitasking! 😀