cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running a smart disk via ethernet

Stugowen
Explorer

Hi.... this is my first post so be gentle lol.

I've had EE broadband for a while now with 2 mesh disks but struggle for decent bandwidth on the furthest disk in the summer house. I know the bandwidth halves on each disk you add to the chain so I'd like to know if I can connect the disk via ethetnet to the hub for a faster more stable connection or is the ethernet port on the disk only for pairing purposes ?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Stugowen
Explorer

Thank you everyone for your swift response.... 

Time to dig a channel out at the side of my driveway then and lay some cable 😁

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Stugowen 

Welcome to the community.

It's my understanding that linking one by ethernet cable should offer more stable bandwidth. Give it a go and see if it improves.

Chris

Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Stugowen  The Ethernet port is also an output so you can have a wired connection to the disk is not just for setting up the disk.   

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@Stugowen - yes, should be fine (and preferred by the sound of things, given your setup). The disc will favour wired mesh backhaul if connected via ethernet. You can verify the connection method by navigating to Advanced > Wireless > My discs in the Hub Manager and highlighting the connected disc.

ee_disc_status.png

NB. I'd expect the Ethernet status to report 1000Mbps when using a decent > Cat5e cable. 

Stugowen
Explorer

Thank you everyone for your swift response.... 

Time to dig a channel out at the side of my driveway then and lay some cable 😁