Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace EE Smarthub with Modem-Only for use with Orbi Router

twilio
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @XRaySpeX,

I hope you don't mind me tagging you. I've been following several posts and appreciate your perspective.

What modem do you recommend? The context is below.

I was looking at the DrayTek Vigor 166. But my concern is that it would be a speed bottleneck because of this specification "Max ADSL2+ Sync Rate: 20Mb/s". Since my EE Broadband isn't fibre, I understand I won't use VDSL. I believe G.Fast was discontinued for new customers around 2021. The EE engineer confirmed it's copper going to the house. That leads me to believe I need a model that supports ADSL2+.

Challenge/Opportunity

• I'm switching from Virgin Media to EE Broadband Fibre 36 Essential (guaranteed at 32mbps; DSL, not fibre).
  • I'd like to use my Orbi RBK50 as the router.
  • The EE Smarthub (SH31B) does not support modem/bridge mode.

Proposed Solution

1. Replace the EE Smarthub with a modem-only device that supports bridge mode.
  2. Configure the new modem:
    1. EE Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoA);
    2. Modem/Bridge mode.
  3. Connect the Orbi RBK50 to the new modem via ethernet.

Desired Result

• Ability to fully leverage my Orbi RBK50 route and network performance.
  • Ability to use EE Broadband to save money.

EE Broadband Fibre 36 Essential connected via phone cable to EE Smarthub (SH31B)EE Broadband Fibre 36 Essential connected via phone cable to EE Smarthub (SH31B)

This is a quick overview of my Hub's status.This is a quick overview of my Hub's status.

Keywords: third party router, Orbi, Mesh, Smarthub, Smart Hub, Virgin Media, DSL, modem, bridge

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@twilio   a few observations.

1. You are not on ADSL2, but VDSL.

2. You don;t configure the modem to PPOA, you do that in your Orbi, but use PPOE.

3. Finding a VDSL modem is not easy these days, but you may find an old Openreach one on eBay or similar, the latest PN Smart Router has a Bridge option, or Draytek, or even an on TP Link 9970 i thinks the model is.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@twilio   a few observations.

1. You are not on ADSL2, but VDSL.

2. You don;t configure the modem to PPOA, you do that in your Orbi, but use PPOE.

3. Finding a VDSL modem is not easy these days, but you may find an old Openreach one on eBay or similar, the latest PN Smart Router has a Bridge option, or Draytek, or even an on TP Link 9970 i thinks the model is.

HTH

Great, thank you. I understand better now.

I found the Vigor 166 on Amazon. That ought to be fit for purpose if I'm understanding things correctly.

Broadband Availability Checker: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressFeatureProductBroadband Availability Checker: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressFeatureProduct

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, the Vigor 166 is compatible with your FTTC/VDSL Fibre connection.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Thanks @twilio  glad I was able to help.

Let us know if you have any issues setting up your modem/Orbi.