cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent changes for using own modem/router?

asbestian
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, 

until yesterday I successfully used my own modem (DrayTek Vigor 130) and router (Asus  RT-AC86U). 
However, for no apparent reason it stopped working as of yesterday. Modem and router seemed to work fine
(no issues indicated by LEDs or something similar), but without providing a functioning internet connection. I checked cables, etc. All seem fine. 

Did EE change any of their internal settings that effects on how to use own modem/router?

Thanks and kind regards

10 REPLIES 10
bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

ADSL or VDSL?
Are you able to share the WAN configuration from the RT-AC86U?
Is there anything telling in the router logs?
Do you have any EE-provided equipment at your disposal that you could temporarily swap in? 

asbestian
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, 

thanks for your reply.
I have swapped to the EE-provided router this morning and it worked without problems. (Hence, I don't think that it's related 
to faulty cables.)
I had a look into the router logs before and nothing outstanding caught my eye. 
I haven't had a chance to look into the Draytek modem logs yet. 

ADSL or VDSL: Tbh, I don't know off the top of my head. How would I find out? I have a normal fibre broadband contract (not fibre plus).

I ran my Draytek-Asus setup for more than a year and it stopped yesterday out of the blue. Is there any chance that EE has changed how the username/password is verified on the modem side or anything like this?

I will have a look into the modem / router logs again, but I am clueless what the issue could be at the moment. 

PS: The Asus router showed a functioning Internet connection the whole time. Generally, it would show there is a problem with the connection via a red LED.
It might be the modem. Although it didn't indicate anything via its LEDS either. 
Hence, I wonder about the possibility whether the issue stems from EEs side. 

@asbestian   did you originally follow the settings in the Help pages?

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/broadband-and-landline/home-broadband/what-are-my-home-broadband-inte... 

You mention username in the modem, but I would have expected the username and password to be used in the PPOE settings in the router.

HTH

PS  normal fibre / fibre plus is VDSL.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

What is  the BB Username you put into the ASUS but obscure your names & any numbers in it?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@asbestian - sounds like you have a VDSL connection.

Sharing the WAN configuration from the RT-AC86U would be the next sensible step, although I doubt it's username/password related if the Asus router is reporting an active Internet connection. I'd be interested to know what your MTU is set to though (there's probably a stated value for both the router and modem somewhere in their respective configuration pages). 

I'm not aware of anything that has changed recently on the network.

asbestian
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for your replies.
I am away for a week, but I will supply the WAN configuration and MTU when I am back.  

asbestian
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, 
this morning I have connected the Draytek 130 and the Asus router again in order to check for WAN connection.
Guess what...         ...it suddenly worked again. I have no clue what the issue is/was, but it works again as before. 

The configured MTU is 1492 and MRU is 1492. Does this sound okay?

Btw, I was not able to access the web interface of the Draytek 130 modem. I tried the typical addresses like 192.168..., but 
no luck. Doesn't it listen to any ip address if it is configured in bridge mode?

Anyway, thanks for all your replies. I consider the issue sorted and hope that the issue doesn't occur again. 

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & trust it is now sorted.

MTU/MRU = 1492 is fine.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)