New EE Router

Croatoan
Investigator
Investigator

I have just moved from BT to EE, router all set up and working but it does have some strange behaviours. Saving wifi settings seems to reset the whole router. Also on two occasions now, it has re-enabled 2.4Ghz when i have turned it off.

Only really noticed it as I have a Wifi 6 extender from TPLink in the hall and it has individual lights for both 2.4GHz and 5Ghz. Walked down this morning and 2.4GHz has magically reappeared?

Not sure if this has had a firmware update in the night or just glitchy.

5 REPLIES 5
Croatoan
Investigator
Investigator

App version:

Firmware version:

r1.34.0-R-994210-PROD-83002r 1 . 3 4 . 0 - R - 9 9 4 2 1 0 - P R O D 

JimM11
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Croatoan You are currently on the latest FW downloaded to the router. With regards to your 2.4Ghz band switch off, you may find that this is not possible due to the wi-fi (6) AX specification's that some company's are enforcing were all bands are used to try and speed up max download's by using all available bandwidth. Looks like EE are possibly doing that so you can only turn off the 5Ghz for short period to get 2.4ghz to connect if are having issue's.

I am a new user to EE with the latest +hub so still trying to work out what i can and cannot do with it's setting's but do need the 2.4ghz band for the Ring Camera and Doorbell, and currently got them via TP-Link powerline due to the location and the 5ghz band just does not cut-it for getting the wi-fi signal everywhere that it is required.

Do keep us informed, when you turn it off, save the settings and see if it is turned on sometimes later ie 24hrs.

Jim

Croatoan
Investigator
Investigator

Hi Jim,

Literally only set the router up on Saturday, so I suspect the router required an update which it must have downloaded overnight. No change to it this morning with 2.4Ghz disabled............. I initially turned it off to see if it affected my speeds and found I was getting 850Mbit with it disabled but less with it enabled on Wifi. Maybe that testing was somewhat flawed but thought I'd give it a go. To be fair I didn't consider which devices were not 5Ghz but have not found a device that is not working. Hive and Smart plugs and lights all work ok, after a bit of digging my WiiU may not but do not have any Ring devices locked at 2.4Ghz.

My set up is a mixture of powerline and Wifi. TP-Link AX3000 Dual Band Wi-Fi 6 Range Extender is what I have downstairs to extend the wifi, which appears to work perfectly albeit not as seamless as a mesh system. I have connected nothing to the 5Ghz _EXT network at present as everything seems to work with the router located upstairs. 

My old BT hub could at best muster 150Mbit, so seeing a fourfold increase on wireless with current settings.

I also have TP link Powerline to my daughters PC in her room, plus did have an additional WiFi 6 in the living room which was only used to play the Quest 2 wirelessly ( HL Alexa via Steam )

I may switch it back on but any wifi changes you save, reboots the router for about 7 minutes haha. 

All the best

Graham

JimM11
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Croatoan Your right about the wi-fi save, does like to force the router to reset but it is what it is, the good point about the 2.4Ghz band is that it is more powerful getting the signal about the premises through walls etc so there are plus and minus, speed is limited on 2x2 devices at 2.4Ghz to 150mb/s so about 110mb/s throughput, and some newer can also work at the higher frequency and get double, as long as your 5Ghz is getting around the property good and you are happy with your speed's on wireless then go for it, do keep the post updated if you find any problems though. Good luck with it all.

Speed test's are only good with wired ethernet, wi-fi wireless has to many variables, so its always better to hook up a cable, do a speed test and know that is your reference just in case somethings start to happen.

Yes will keep an eye on it. My PC is hard wired and never had any speed issues. Always getting the full speeds. 150mb is what I used to get on the old router around the house wirelessly, so the speeds now are far better at 700-800.

Mine is a relatively modern house so the walls are paper thin, coverage seems to be ok. I'm sure those 2.4Ghz only devices will soon be discovered 🙂 I suspect most of them have been resigned to the cupboard a few years ago.

Interesting about the Ring camera's though, I may re-enable the 2.4 over the weekend and test the speeds again.