cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moviing from BTEE FTTP to EE FTTP Activation Question?

naylor2006
Explorer

Hi all.

Ive signed up to ask a question on behalf of my parents in law, seeing as I am responsible for their IT 🙂

They have been BTEE FTTP (but always dealt with EE) customers for a couple years now and there has been no issues, recently due to a contract renewal they are going to be sent a new router, we asked if we can avoid this as for them its kind of an up evil....the agent on the phone said that its because they are moving to EE now singular and not BTEE.

They have an activation date and I am wondering what to expect....mostly will their old router just work beyond the activation date and I can swap it over a few days later?

Looking at the 3rd Party Router settings on EE's support page the PPPOE username and password is still bthomehub@btbroadband.com and a password of bt with CHAP as authentication.

Given that this information is still there on EE's own support page then can I assume the old router and new router will be using the exact same credentials and connection settings to the FTTP and the 'activation' is merely a database thing at the ISP end and actually there wont be any switch or outage like if you were going from Plusnet to EE etc...?

Thanks for any advice.

5 REPLIES 5
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Both the existing BT router & the EE router to be sent use the same PPPoE creds & the same settings. You should be able to run on the BT router until you are able to swap them.

I believe with these BT to EE like-for-like moves there is no or little downtime.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for the reply, thats helpful to know.

Their existing router is EE though, this is why we asked the agent on the phone about why we needed a new router.....but they assured us that now that EE was no longer BTEE and just now EE, then a new router will be sent out.

But it makes sense that there shouldnt be any downtime really and to leave the existing router in until I can get their and move their devices to the new router.

I dunno what "BTEE" is as opposed to EE. Both BT & EE are separate ISPs, both part of the BT Group.

What is the model of the existing router?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Well yeah this is why I dont get it, their Internet is with EE and they have an EE router with an EE SSID for the WIFI. Sorry I dont have the model of the router to hand, im not there. They have only ever dealt with EE, two years ago EE and BT Retail were still separate ISP's right?

Seems best idea to me to just leave the existing router plugged in and worry about it after the activation day.

Yes, & they still are.