cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move from EE Bright Box router to EE Smart Router.

scooby73466
Contributor
Contributor

I have agreed a deal with EE to change to fibre broad band and today I received the EE Smart Router that will enable that to happen. I am currently using an EE Bright Box router and have made a copy of all the IP and MAC addresses that currently have access to the network. My question is : do I remove the BrightBox router and install the Smart Router immediately, even though the date of changeover has been set for 3 days hence or do I have to wait until the fibre broad band is actually up and runnibg before I change to the new router ?

I have read through the user guide and that part of the installation is not explained. Sincere thanks and appreciation for any help that be given. Regards - David.

20 REPLIES 20

Hello and thank you for coming in to help me. My default browser is Firefox. Regards - David.

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

Thanks.

I don't think Firefox has a native method of installing a website as a self-contained app shortcut anymore (it used to, and other browsers like Chrome and Edge still do).

You could create a simple website shortcut on your desktop, by browsing to the Hub Manager, hovering your cursor over the lock icon at the left of the address bar, and click/dragging to an empty space on your desktop? 

Thank you for your reply. I just can't remember how I put the IP address start-up icon (what we used to call a batch file in MS-DOS days !) on my desktop. It wasn't a simple process if I remember correctly but I only did it a couple of months ago. I think I had to go to the Command prompt and type something but somehow I also got an icon attached to it. I have a funny idea that I initially found the process on YouTube.

I do have other minor issues, for instance I have a CCTV system with a network video recorder that is attached to the router via a LAN cable. This is so that the iPads can pick up the cameras at any time. If we hear any of our alarms go off  we grab one of the iPads and have a look to see what's going on. This is working perfectly now but when I log on to the router it says that the NVR is not connected when it obviously is.

Thanks again and kind regards - David.

Sorry, I meant:

• New > Shortcut
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Sorry but that doesn't work for me. It is obviously looking for a file, not an IP address.

But I have found out a way to do it (on Windows 8.1  64bit) :

Log in to the Smart Router > Right Click > Bookmark This Page (rename it if appropriate).   Then go into Bookmarks and find the Bookmark that has just been created. Right click the Bookmark and click Copy. Then open the Desktop and click Paste Short cut. The shortcut will appear on the desktop which can then be moved around in order to keep things tidy. My only problem with this is that for the EE router the icon is not very distinguishable. Please see below :

icon.JPGAnyone know how to edit/change the icon ?  

@scooby73466 wrote:

Sorry but that doesn't work for me. It is obviously looking for a file, not an IP address.

No it isn't! It says "or Internet Address" thus: Capture.JPG

Next:Capture2.JPG

Finish & you end up with an icon like that of your default browser:Capture3.JPG

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Sir, you are a STAR. 👍 I hadn't put the http:// in front of the IP address. And the icon is exactly the same one that I had for my old EE Bright Box router.

A very genuine thank you. Kind regards - David.

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & trust it is now sorted.

Thank you. Just starting to get back to somewhere where we were with the old Bright Box router. I am due to be switched over to fibre on or before midnight on Thursday of this week. Would you know if I have to do anything once it is switched over or is every done that has to be done from my end ?

It should auto sense the BB mode.