cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move from EE Bright Box router to EE Smart Router.

scooby73466
Contributor
Contributor

I have agreed a deal with EE to change to fibre broad band and today I received the EE Smart Router that will enable that to happen. I am currently using an EE Bright Box router and have made a copy of all the IP and MAC addresses that currently have access to the network. My question is : do I remove the BrightBox router and install the Smart Router immediately, even though the date of changeover has been set for 3 days hence or do I have to wait until the fibre broad band is actually up and runnibg before I change to the new router ?

I have read through the user guide and that part of the installation is not explained. Sincere thanks and appreciation for any help that be given. Regards - David.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sir, you are a STAR. 👍 I hadn't put the http:// in front of the IP address. And the icon is exactly the same one that I had for my old EE Bright Box router.

A very genuine thank you. Kind regards - David.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@scooby73466 : Do you have the BrightBox 1 (horizontal) or 2 (vertical)?

You should be able put the Smart Router in now. It will work on what you have now, presumably Standard ADSL BB, & Fibre BB and will auto connect. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thank you very much for your reply. Judging by the look of my old Bright Box I think it is the horizontal version. I have installed the EE Smart Router and I am getting on reasonably well. I opened up my Windows desktop and answered a question and I found that I could access the Internet and when I logged on to the router I could see that, presumably because it has a LAN connection to the router, that it was connected with it's correct name.

I have also been able to connect 2 iPads by going into the respective iPad settings and inputting the router password. I do have a query at the moment though. In the list of items connected to the router there is an item with an IP and MAC address that is nothing like anything that I had connected to the old router (I took a screen shot of all the items that could be connected to it). Anyway, thanks again, I obviously have more work to do.

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & trust it is now sorted.

The Smart Router will issue its own internal IPs which will not necessarily have any relationship with those issued by the Brightbox. You can change them manually & mark as "Always use this IP". 

What is the name, IP & 1st 6 digits of the MAC of the mysterious item?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thank you again for your help. I have actually sorted out the mysterious item. It was my iPhone !! I do have a couple of other things which are annoying rather than serious. 1. I don't see a "Log Off" option anywhere when using the new router in the same way that I could with the old Bright Box router and when I leave I would prefer to log off. 2. I also managed to find a way of putting an icon on my desktop that would take me straight to the Bright Box. I know I only found that by Googling it but can't figure out how to do it now for this new router. I know that it is only the IP address for the router but can't figure out how to link it to a clickable icon. I also find the user guide very poor. I have searched YouTube & Google for a better version but to no avail.

Thanks again for your help. I do appreciate it very much. Kind regards - David.

1. There is no "Logoff" for the Smart Router but it is much less sticky than the Brightbox & will log itself out after some period of inactivity. That doesn't mean that it won't stay on the Home page but the log-on is only required to get to any of the Advanced Settings.
  2. All you need is a new Desktop Shortcut to http://192.168.1.254

Thank you again. You are being very helpful. I wondered if the Smart Router logged off after a certain time but couldn't find any settings. Yes, I realise that I just need a desktop shortcut to that IP address but can't remember how I did it last time. I'll spend some time tomorrow and get it sorted. It just saves time when wanting to log on and in any case, at my age and with my awful memory it means that I don't have to keep going and looking for the address every time that I want to log on to the router.

Thanks again - you are being very helpful. Kind regards - David.

• R Click on Desktop.
  • New > Folder
  • Type URL & Name it.
  • Finish

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@scooby73466 wrote:

Yes, I realise that I just need a desktop shortcut to that IP address but can't remember how I did it last time.

What web browser are you using David?

I'm sorry but I wasn't able to follow your instructions. I created a new folder on the desktop and tried to name it as the IP address of the router but that isn't allowed because IP addresses contain certain characters. But thank you for continuously trying to help me. Regards - David.