Leaving Fees

JK130000
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

So I’ve had problems with my internet speeds since the day I got it in, paying £67/mo up to £73/mo with added inflation rates and getting an average speed of 250Mbps.

I had engineers coming out every two weeks and the router and ONT box was replaced etc, OpenReach engineers  gave up and eventually said they couldn’t find any issues and resolved the issue every time the came but the speeds weren’t fixed.

So I’ve switched to BT and been send a Bill for £530 leaving fee as I’m still in contract after being told I could leave after 30 days if the issue wasn’t resolved and because that person never logged it in the system I’m having to pay for someone else’s mistake, quite literally.

When I’ve been in the phone I’ve gotten no where and being fobbed off as usual..

all because the fault kept getting resolved even thought it wasn’t and I had to keep ringing up and booking an engineer again and again because the fault was never fixed. 

Having to complain to Ofcom as it’s a joke.

5 REPLIES 5
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@JK130000  Ofcom will not help you as your a lone case.    

How are your speeds with BT as it’s the same line as EE use the only the difference is your router.  

As for the cancellation fee was you told you could terminate the contract with no fee and do you have any sort of notification informing you that you could terminate the contract ?   

JK130000
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

BT is starting tomorrow. 

I was told over the phone it was being implemented as the fault was not getting fixed. Was told it would be on the system for when I ring up at anytime after 30 days (added another 30 days due to coronavirus etc). Chatted with the same person most of the time and attempted to email someone else who stopped replying and may well have been on days off etc. 

What I was being told was the complete opposite of what was happening from EE and OpenReach. Short version: EE told me I could leave without fees due to the issue not being fixed and the engineers from OpenReach said they could see the issue but couldn’t find a fault. And I have now been told OpenReach had resolved the problem after every visit as they could not identify a problem although the could see the speeds where very low and EE had not actually implemented any form of leaving notification from a 30 days notice. 

So I’m paying for other people’s mistakes essentially being made out to by falsifying information as the engineers results had apparently shown speeds much higher of 700+

Even with a wired connection the best ever speed I got was 620Mbps. 

Only 1 engineer used a wired connection and the rest used Fast.com from a works mobile. The last engineer to come told my there was no point ringing up again as the issue was the firmware which had not been released and I’d be waiting a long time for it to be updated. When mentioned to EE they said this was false and the engineer shouldn’t have said that as it was wrong. So this whole ordeal has been back and forward between EE and OR until nothing happened and I had to ring up again because there was no further communication.

I had been rang on a few occasions where I Missed the call due to being at work and got the usual text of 24 hours notice before the ticket closes to which I rang back up and had another engineer booked. 

I have tested speeds I. Fast.com, BT wholesale, an EE speed test that was sent via a link and others like Google and Ookla. Both wired and wireless with a range of devices, most of which have 1Gbps capabilities with a wired connection. 

I understand the difference with BT is only the router as it’s their line anyway but hopefully the issue is resolved tomorrow or it will be the same situation. However, I now know to log every communication and to ring up to ensure the ticked has not been closed or apprently resolved by engineers who didn’t know what to do. 

I can honestly say the 36Mbps plan from EE worked perfectly fine and I never had an issue but as soon as I switched to the fibre I had constant issues. Even tonight I had 10Mbps speeds for about 30 mins until it went to 370Mbps.

I don’t want to have any form of defamation but openness is needed so it doesn’t happen with others in the same situation. 

£530.29 is a lot to pay during a cost of living crisis, especially when I’ve done eveything I should have when I was informed of it etc.

@JK130000  It is unfortunate that you did not continue with the thread in Jan and March - at least then you would have more evidence to refute the leaving fee. 

Normally ISP's require you follow some simple timely instruction when responding to faults in order to progress compensation and to be granted the option to leave without termination fees. 30 days to fix a fault, but requires you to respond in a timely manor. Not sure why this has gone on for over 6 months?

That said, were it me rather than Ofcom I would be following EE's Complaint Code of Practice https://ee.co.uk/content/dam/ee-help/Help-PDFs/ee-complaints-code-of-practice-january-2022.pdf .

HTH

JK130000
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Going through the complains procedure now with a manager’s manager haha. 

I’m gonna see how it goes from

there, hopefully it gets sorted with EE tomorrow as I’m getting a call back 10 AM

Guess we are all different.

Let us know how you get on.