cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Wi-Fi signal in my bedroom

NeilSalf
Explorer

I changed after 20 years from BT to EE on 25th April, 2022.

I moved the router position .5m towards the office corner and approximately .5m higher onto a fixed shelf away for the old BT temporary position.

The old BT Home Hub worked very well and reached all of the rooms in the house to varying degrees, but reliably.

The new EE hub, which I understand is the same as the latest BT hub, has consistently lost contact with my iPhone SE iOS 15.1 in my bedroom. I have just tried the connection with a Samsung tablet and there is a very weak signal which, to me, indicates that the connection would be no better throughout the day and night.

I am constantly having get out of bed, sometimes in the early hours, and walk out onto the landing to reconnect, only for it to drop out again, sometimes within minutes.

The router is in my office downstairs so checking the router status is impractical.

I have successfully reinstalled the old BT router and will find out if it still drops out.

Watch this space.

4 REPLIES 4
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @NeilSalf  and welcome to the forum.

Which router have EE provided, and which BT one do you have?

Just wondering if your issues are a result of the new router not being able to split the 2.4 and 5Ghz Wi-Fi bands?

Have you entered your EE username and password in the BT router or left it as the standard BT one?

Also why move the router, is it any better or worse in the new position?

• The BT router is a BT Home Hub. The only ID I have is BTHub6-Z7QX
  • The EE Router is an EE Smart Hub. The only ID I have is EE-Hub-ZX2u
  • The BT router was in a temporary position after rearranging my office. I reinstalled the old router on the new shelf prior to the delivery of the EE router. To my surprise, the old router still worked after the EE broadband connection was installed without any action on my part. It was a few days later that I installed the new EE router after sorting out the cabling to the new location. The new location is in a safer, permanent position within half a metre of the old one.
  • I am not technical enough to understand your comment about the splitting of wave bands.

I have simply reconnected the old BT router and it connected automatically. I did not need to enter a username/password.

I am going to test the old BT router connection in my bedroom  over the next couple of nights 

Which BB product do you have from EE?

For an EE Smart Hub, but not an EE Smart Router, try separating the wireless bands/SSIDs. On the Advanced > Wireless Settings page of the SH there is a button near the top to Separate the Bands. Turn it ON. Then the 5GHz SSID will appear starting with "5GHz-" & the 2.4 GHz SSID not starting with "5GHz-". Then connect your devices to the 2.4 GHz SSID if they can't do 5GHz.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks @NeilSalf 

Normally if you connect a non EE router you have to enter your EE username and password, however there does seem to have been changes recently resulting in standard BT settings also working.

The BT HH6 also has combined 2.4 and 5Ghz Wi-Fi bands although it does not have the same modes as the later EE hub. If the BT hub works for you, the easiest solution would be to use it. But do keep the EE one in case of future issues.