cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Rename Devices in EE Smart Hub Page?

imacken
Investigator
Investigator

Just been moved from BT to EE and it's not obvious how to rename devices on the hub manager page.  This was easily done on BT SH2.

I just mostly get a bunch of MAC addresses as the name.

I can rename them in the EE app, but sadly that does carry over to the hub manager page.

Surely there is a way of doing this?

e1.jpg

11 REPLIES 11
monitorcurve
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Your image hasn't been approved yet so isn't showing up yet for people

But I had the same question when I was transferred to EE from BT, you can't do it in the Hub (stupid decision for people trying to manage a network), you have to do all renaming via the app, and it should show up in the Router page after you save them on the app, my original thread was https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Landline/Router-page-renaming-connected-devices-how/td-p/132...

It's a bit of a slow process to rename everything especially if you've got a lot of devices. One annoying thing is if the router is factory reset then you lose these names in the router and they revert back to showing the Mac address only - but the EE app still retains the device names you've set, so you just need to re-save them in the app and then they'll update back to what you set them as when you refresh the router admin page.

I can provide screenshots if needed from both the app and the router device list page if that's helpful at all.

imacken
Investigator
Investigator

That is really helpful, thanks. 
I didn’t realise that if you rename in the App that it will be reflected in the hub manager page, because if you keep the name the same as the app without changing/saving it then the device just shows as the MAC address. 
So, having changed all the names, they look all good in the web page. 
Any hub reset will, however, mean having to rename/save in the app all over again. That is a pain!

Your image may yet not be approved as it reveals your MACs.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Good point! I’ve tried to edit the post, but doesn’t seem possible. 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

I edit images using Paint.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
imacken
Investigator
Investigator

Sorry, I meant edit the post!

I know you did but it is now too late to edit it! Delete the existing image from your Community Images. That will remove it from the post as n/a. Edit your local image using Paint. Then make another post containing the image as a correction to the OP.

imacken
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks. I use Affinity Photo for image editing. 
How do I delete the image?

It’s not worth re-posting as it’s not relevant any more and wouldn’t make sense with the MACs removed anyway. 

If you look in your Profile do you see Image Console & can you enter it? If so, look for that image & you'll be able to delete it. If not, I can do it for you.

You could just half obscure the bottom end of the MACs so as to retain the idea they're still MACs.