cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router page - renaming connected devices - how?

monitorcurve
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi, having recently switched over from the BT Smart Hub router to the EE Smart Hub Plus, there seems to be no way of changing the devices names connected in the router page, such as connected Printers, Tablets, Phones, TVs etc,

For example a Laptop is displayed in the router page as "Dell Windows PC/Laptop", and it doesn't pick up the actual name ie "X Laptop" set on the actual Laptop itself like the BT Home Hub did (you could enter a name for the device on the router page if you wanted to override it), and there seems to be no way to rename this device on the router page?!

Is that the case? Am I stuck with these names instead of being able to set the names of the devices that show up as connected devices in the router page.

I have some NAS devices that just show the MAC address now which is really annoying - Is there any way to fix this??

devices.png

Devices that show up incorrectly:

devices2.png

9 REPLIES 9
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Device naming should be managed by WiFi Controls of MyEE app.

Would you care to obscure the MACs?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
monitorcurve
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Do you have a screenshot of the device name editing process in the app?

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

The app refuses to work for me & my SH+. Someone else might.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
wgwright
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

If you go into WiFi controls, then scroll down to the list of connected devices. Scroll down to the list of connected devices. Tap on the device you want to name or rename. Tap on the 3 dots 8n the top right had corner. The option to name or rename will come up at the bottom of the screen. Tap on the pencil icon and you can then name the device to what you want

firedancer
Explorer

Hi  Explorer 

There have been some improvements made with this area recently. We would appreciate if you can confirm that the device names are looking better these days ? Even share a new screenshot if possible - many thx

monitorcurve
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

The only change has been that a TV now shows up with a name, instead of the printer name it was display before

device-correct.png

The Drobo NAS devices and a server still only show the MAC address however, and this has not changed.

incorrect.png

Why would a normal router function only be available in a phone app? 
Just like with the band splitting not being possible, I don't get why they'd revert such core router features.

The "Advanced Settings" pages of router panels are there for a reason...

Beats me, @BobT36 ! You should be able to config a router direct thro' its management console. Any mobile phone app should only be an alternative to assist in doing so but not be the only means of doing some settings. Also it makes a smartphone a prerequisite to having BB from EE when not all BB users might not want or have a smartphone.

Network-Admin
Visitor

Hmmmmmmmmm!

I have 3 managed Switches, none of which could be identified by the App.

Eventually took an age to realize that "Host_11" is one of them, and "Host_8" was another.

Argggggggggggggggggg!