cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got the new 1.6gb service connected - max speed 900mb..

Zilos
Investigator
Investigator

Hey all - 

After a complete nightmare getting the service up and running (they initially created the account as 900MB, had to cancel that account and are now trying to bill me for £1300), I finally have it running.

Imagine my surprise when the max speed is 900mb, exactly what I was paying for before - only now I pay more.

I called the EE team, they told me the SmartHub is rated for 1gb only - he even confirmed it in an email.

I'd appreciate any help on what I can do here.. very close to an Ofcom complaint. 

Can I replace the SmartHub with a router of my choosing? Will this even work? If it does, I guess that's a partial solution however EE should float that bill - not me!

Any help appreciated,
Nick

12 REPLIES 12
garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@Zilos It depends what you're trying to do mate. If you are only using wireless, then you don't need to buy your own hardware: the EE Smart Hub Plus will be fine (although you might struggle to manage it with EE's disastrous app!). But if you want wired connections, then the Smart Hub Plus will limit those to only 1Gbps, and in that case, you'll need a new router to take advantage of the line speed.

GosforthUK
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

You don't need really a Wi-Fi 6E or 7 router to benefit from the maximum of your 1.6 Gbps EE Busiest Home bundle...

My EE Smart Hub Plus (2023) on WiFi now consistently providing 1.3-1.4 Gbps down / 115-120 Mbps up. Yep, it's not full 1.6 Gbps You might say... Yet, another 32 devices are hooked up via LAN port and my own Omada Wifi, therefore, I do not expect to see full 1.6 Gbps all day long obviously.

When I unplug my internal Wifi from EE SHP, on Wifi directly to Hub, I can get 1.5 Gbps most of the time, if (and that's important) only one device is connected. Yet, it's not full 1.6 Gbps You might say...

As this hub is not capable of anything over 1 Gbps over the LAN due to hardware limitation is stupidity from EE, because people will complain. But most people who need more than that usually has own HW  already in place.

Once my Omada Router and AP are upgraded to a 2.5 Gbps backbone, EE SHP goes to the box, and I am pretty sure, consistent 1.5-1.6 Gbps speed will be achieved. 

GosforthUK
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Might to add, as it's possible only on 160 Mhz channel bandwidth, which will anger most of your neighbours :)) especially if Hub insist, as it will be on channel 36...

And of course, Your end point device is in need to support 2401 Mbps "link" and 2x2 MU-MIMO, otherwise You will  hook up only on 1201 Mbps (80 Mhz channel maximum) and never ever see more than 1 Gbps on Wifi through that