cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.Fast should be live today but no router

stevedr
Contributor
Contributor

My new g.fast broadband is meant to be connected this morning but I have not yet received my EE router.  So, I have no id or password for broadband.  How can I get my internet up an running without the relevant information??  I have my own router and modem but need the account info to logon.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You could just phone CS for your BB Username. The pwd is derivable from it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You could just phone CS for your BB Username. The pwd is derivable from it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Thanks, I just tried but as my wife is the account holder I'll have to wait
till she gets in. Thanks for your help tho.
stevedr
Contributor
Contributor

Weds this week Openreach are due to install G.Fast here.  They gave us a time slot 1:00-3:00pm.  My problem here is that my wife will be workng online until 1:25pm and it is critical that the internet is not disconnected before that. So, is the 2 hour time period (1 -3 pm) a window for when they might turn up?  Or, is it a full 2 hour install process?

If OR arrive at say 1:15pm how likely is it that the engineer can delay actually disconnecting our current FTTC service until 1:25pm?  If anyone knows the BT procedure for G.Fast installs, perhaps they could let me know how it might pan out on the day.

@stevedr   I believe the work needed is at the cabinet, and the OR engineer and the work could be done at any time within the slot given.

If your wife's work is critical it would be wise to use her backup arrangements during that time.

HTH

"If your wife's work is critical it would be wise to use her backup arrangements during that time."

Mustrum, thanks for your suggestion - as it happens my wife has now rearranged work to finish at 12:45 so that takes the pressure off 🙂  As long as OR don't turn up too early we'll be fine!

@stevedr   not long to go now, hope all goes well. 

Come back and let us know how it went.

Well, OR arrived at 1.25pm pretty good timing after all.  He fitted 5C/G.Fast socket and disappeared, in the rain, to the cabinet (200m around the corner).

I used the EE router and it synched ok after he'd returned (30mins later), at around 103Mbps - the engineer said it was 110 at the cabinet.  He said it will not be settled to full speed until day 10.  I was promised by EE around 150.  The slightly disappointing aspect is the upload speed is only 8mbps at the moment.  It was 18 on VDSL.  I hope this will improve significantly, but I wasn't expecting such a slow speed to start with.

Download speeds are around 75-90. Does anyone know if it will mess up the 'settling in' phase if I swap back to my own router/modem? (TP-link AX72 + Vigor 166)

Thanks for your interest, I'll update when something changes/improves.

@stevedr   glad to hear you are up and running.

As for settling in period, that was the story for ADSL, but should be only a day or two for VDSL/G Fast. 

Providing your modem syncs up OK and you get the PPOE set on your router, without too many drops you should be OK. However frequent drops or failed attempts may slow your speeds.

Have you used the BTW DSL checker to show the speeds you should expect? https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL  

Your phone number will give the most accurate results, otherwise try the address check.  

It's been a week since OR installed G.Fast here.  Initially the sync rate was 103Mbps download/8Mbps upload - the engineer said it would pickup over the next ten days.  It has not improved, in fact it has gone down to 90.  It seems to vary between 85-95 with SNR of 4 - 2db respectively.  The upload speed has stayed between 7-8 Mbps.

This is not inspiring confidence as it has been 7 days now.  Admittedly I swapped from the EE hub to my own setup after a couple of hours.  I am using the Draytek Vigor 166 modem and a TP-Link AX72 router which automatically detected the modem connection as PPPOE.

I ran a check on btwholesale's broadband checker - which showed a G.Fast capability of 164 down and 22 up ('clean').  The 'impacted' rates shown were basically what I am seeing at the moment, namely 80/ 6.4 and that's the 'low' estimates according to the bt checker. The bt speed test gave me a download profile of 93Mbps and an upload profile of 30Mbps, so something is askew somewhere.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.  Will my connection suddenly jump to full speed on day 10?  Or should I look for local conditions that could affect my sync rates?

Thanks for all the help offered so far.